C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR Valve

I think my EGR valve is not functional. I push on the diaphram and no change in RPM. Is it ok to pull this out, or should it be replaced. Could it be causing a vacuum leak?
Old 09-27-2003, 03:19 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EGR Valve (Dk Met Grn 80 L82)

Mines gone, replaced it with a custom fab aluminium block off plate, the new edlebrock wouldnt fit with it.

MAtt
Old 09-27-2003, 03:31 AM
blackbirdpilot
Instructor

Could be just plugged with carbon. Use a vacuum pump and check to see if the EGR is holding vaccuum. You can also use the pump to open the valve whent the car is running. Should be a change in RPM. If not, but a new EGR gasket and pull the EGR valve. Check to make sure the ports aren' t all plugged and clean out any carbon the valve, should move freely.

Good luck
:thumbs:
Old 09-27-2003, 09:38 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: EGR Valve (blackbirdpilot)

If you (with a glove on - it's hot ) pull up on the diaphram with the engine running at idle and it should run ruff and drop in RPM's. If not, then you have a bad valve or plugged ports.

Pull off the EGR, squirt carb cleaner in the ports, let it soak and then blow out or scrape out the carbon. Just don't soak the diaphram. Then use the vacuum pump and see if the diaphram and plunger moves - if it does the valve is probably ok.

Get a vacuum gauge or borrow one and connect to the line feeding the EGR valve. Rev the engine and you should see vacuum go from 0 to about engine vacuum. If not, chase this down.

If the valve is ok and there is vacuum, then the ports in the intake manifold are plugged with carbon and the only real way to clean them out is to pull the manifold soak them with cleaner and use a brush and coat hanger to get it out. You really don't want to risk poking a wire into the port and breaking a chunk of hard carbon off and getting into somewhere it is not supposed to - like the engine internals.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:23 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: EGR Valve (bigvette1)

For a Stock Weekend Warrior, is the EGR needed? I'm planning on blocking it off this winter
Old 09-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Default Re: EGR Valve (bigvette1)

That is exactly what I did. Push in on the diaphram and there is no change in RPM. Also there was a pile of carbon like crud laying on the top outside of the intake manifold just under this valve. I figure the valve must be toasted. I just wanted to know if I should just leave it as non functional, pull and cap off somehow, or replace? Is there any harm leaving as non functional besides maybe a rougher idle?
Old 09-27-2003, 11:43 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The only negative of blocking off the EGR or having a non working one is the carb was origionally jetted with the EGR feedback taken into account. Without EGR on an EGR engine you may run a bit lean. Check your jetting in concert with LARS paper on Q-Jet tuning. If you have emission testing you may have a problem on NOX tests.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:04 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed mine. I bought a block off plate from JEGS and put that on.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: EGR Valve (79MakoL82)

I'm planning on sending it to Lars, let him perform his magic.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Valve

Quick Reply: EGR Valve