C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does "flash chromed" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default What does "flash chromed" mean?

Thinking about getting my original '69 BB valve covers rechromed. The restoration manuals say that the original covers were "flash chromed." What does that mean, and will rechromed originals look different?

JB
Old 09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (JB)

Parts in a quality plating operation are first plated with nickle then "triple" plated by 3 seperate immersions into the Chromium plating solution. Flash chrome plating is done very quickly and a very thin coating. (I'm not smart, I just found this on the web) :D So, it could be right or pure BS.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:30 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (Smokehouse69)

That's right on the money :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 09-27-2003, 03:57 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (GDaina)

It's a cheap, quick process as stated above. IF you want shiny "show chrome" or "triple chrome" plated valve covers, you will NOT be happy with a flash chrome finish. LOTS of pits and imperfections in them.

Case in point....I had my valve covers flash chromed on my 69 BB. The judges at the NCRS National loved them. Most look at them and ask why I don't rechrome my valve covers as they look so crummy. :)

To go one step further....Librandi's Plating in Harrisburg will not flash chrome items for customers unless Todd Librandi knows them personally. Why? Most would be very unhappy with a true flash chrome finish. Chuck
Old 09-27-2003, 03:59 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Triple plating is actualy what it means. The first plating is copper, that surface is then polished to a brilliant shine, the next step is nickel, that gives the silver color, that surface is again polished to a brilliant shine, and the third coat is the chromium that gives it blue hue. That is why triple plating is so much more expensive than "flash plating" and why it lasts so much longer and looks so much better.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:33 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (427basketcase)

Dang it, now I can't decide what to do with my valve covers. Flash plating's more original (if I can find someone to do it), but it sounds like the triple plating looks a lot better. How unoriginal will they look with the triple plating--enough to really stand out?

JB
Old 09-27-2003, 05:15 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'd triple plate them. Are you having your car judged? Even if you are I'd take the hit on points to have valve covers I'm proud of.
JMHO :chevy
Old 09-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (gq82)

I will probably get my car judged and am looking to get her as close as reasonable to NCRS. There are a few exceptions. I will take the point loses for the triple plate chroming and modern paints. As Chuck mentioned, the majority of people will think they look bad flash chromed. Since I am not a perfectionist and the car will be a fairly regular driver, to flash chrome something for the occasional judging/NCRS kudos, makes less sense than a better, more durable option. Especially when the car still will look correct.

If you are serious about originality, do it right by NCRS.

Here's anothe option. Buy a second set. Best of both worlds that way.

[Modified by Robert N, 2:36 PM 9/27/2003]
Old 09-28-2003, 12:02 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (427basketcase)

427 is right on the money.
Triple chrome is like a good paint job: first the copper, which is analogous to primer; then nickel, which is the color coat; and finally chrome, which is actually so thin that it is transparent...just like a clearcoat.
Triple chrome LOOKS thick. Whether you like that look or not for your application is up to you.
The suggestion of getting two sets of covers is good...!

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 09-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: What does "flash chromed" mean? (Robert N)

To clarify something, which I do believe to be true..... "Triple Chrome" plating is just that....copper, nickel, then chrome.

Flash chrome is chrome plating applied directly over bare steel with no other layers.....no copper, no nickel. Thus, all of the imperfections of the steel show through...pits, swirls, etc. It's also a poor quality, cheap finish....just enough to make it shiny.

You would only lose 1-2 "points" in NCRS judging for show chrome/triple chrome valve covers. I have another set of covers for my 69 that are the correct configuration for my particular serial number. I just might take them to Librandi's this winter and have them triple chrome plated. :)

Bear in mind one more thing...the quality of original BB valve covers wasn't that great to begin with. You've got the pock marks from the dripper welds, etc. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To What does "flash chromed" mean?

Quick Reply: What does "flash chromed" mean?