C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS?

I have noticed quite a few of you have Spal electric fans. What advantages do they have over flex -lite or some of the others? I'm interseted in dual fans What size fans do I need? Do I purchase the push or pull type? What amperage should my altenator be should I choose to purchase electric fans Spal or otherwise? What advantages do dual fans have over single fans? (previous owner had a 3-row radiator and a single electric fan and the car did not overheat)
Old 09-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (Oldguard 7)

I have noticed quite a few of you have Spal electric fans. What advantages do they have over flex -lite or some of the others? I'm interseted in dual fans What size fans do I need? Do I purchase the push or pull type? What amperage should my altenator be should I choose to purchase electric fans Spal or otherwise? What advantages do dual fans have over single fans? (previous owner had a 3-row radiator and a single electric fan and the car did not overheat)
If it ain't broke don't fix it. The dual SPAL's are top of the line and work great form all indications but are they needed for all applications? Probably not. If you are having no cooling issues I would stick with what you got till a problems arises. I have dual flex-a-lite's and they work good, temp rises a little to about 200 or so in traffic but and returns somewhat slow but for me it have had no issues with boil over unless I forget to turn them on. :bb I am/was running about 400 hp for reference. I also do not have my rad seals between it and the support so it would probably cool faster once moving if I did.

BTW The flex-a-lites are half the cost of the SPAL's.

[Modified by Fevre, 3:57 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:13 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (Oldguard 7)

Dual Spals are top of the line and include braggin rights at no extra charge.

A stock SBC with a decent radiator can probably do well with a single Spal or dual flexalite or single fan from a number of other manufacturers.

I got the dual Spals since I figured the overcapacity and high quality were cheap insurance against overheating int Texas in August.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (flynhi)

I got the dual Spals since I figured the overcapacity and high quality were cheap insurance against overheating int Texas in August.
:iagree:
Old 09-26-2003, 11:36 PM
ATHANASE
Instructor

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (flynhi)

Can you explain where you instal it?
You need to remove the original fan I guess?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:44 PM
ATHANASE
Instructor

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (ATHANASE)

Can you explain where you instal it?
... I mean HOW.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:15 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (Smokehouse69)

:iagree:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Can't say enough about the dual Spal's. First time I put them in, with a new recored rad, the outside temp was hovering between 90-92, I let the 68 idle, 40 minutes in the driveway, the temp never reached 200. Needle was below the 200 mark.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:45 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (GDaina)

Flex O Lite has a new fan assembly out that pulls over 5000 cfm, with sensors and relays build right in and has the right size for the vette radiators. Sells for about $350=$400 from the parts houses. Sounds like a super solution for a reasonable cost. PROBLEM IS - according to flex-o-lite tech support the frame of the fan assembly does not clear upper A-arms on the vettes. They are redesigning and will have a new model in the spring that will clear the A-arms.

DeWitt's dual Spals will fit but cost may be a factor.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:34 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (bigvette1)

Be careful when comparing CFM ratings. I think it's true that Spal is the only fan manufacturer who rates fans under load/installed. Others rate their fans in free air.
Obviously free air numbers will look better.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:35 PM
garandfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
Cruise-In 7 Car Show Winner

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (Fevre)

Whats the best place, read cheapest, to buy the SPAL's at?

Frank
Old 09-27-2003, 01:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS? (garandfan)

Whats the best place, read cheapest, to buy the SPAL's at?

Frank
Eh? Cheapest? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Surely you jest

Get notified of new replies

To SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS?

Quick Reply: SPAL FANS........SINGLE OR DUAL, WHAT DOES SPAL HAVE OVER FLEXLITE AND OTHERS?