C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper core charge

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 02:31 PM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Caliper core charge

OK, need some advice. I needed a front brake caliper quickly, so I went to autozone and bought 2 new front brake calipers and brake pads. The question is, should I return my original brake calipers to get my 35.00 each core charge back, or should I keep the original calipers and rebulit them someday or keep to just have the originals around. I want to someday go to the 0 ring seal design so the original calipers would have to be completely rebuilt with ss sleeves.

Also if I ever ordered calipers from a parts store like mid america, ecklers or any other parts store, will they except an aftermarket core, give a reduced core price or do they want the delco originals.

If I would need them later on for a core which most charge $50. core, then I would still have them. And if they just set up until I get around to rebuilding them, how do I store them to keep them from pitting inside the sleeve?

Thanks for your advise
Old 09-26-2003, 05:27 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: Caliper core charge (RC73)

Return your old calipers for the core charge and forget about them.

Take your core charge money and go buy the VBP O-ring "CONVERSION KIT" which comes with a set of O-ring pistons and seals and dust boots. This should cost I think $27 per caliper x 4 = $118 total.

Tear your brand new SS sleeved calipers apart (all aftermarkets now are SS sleeved) and replace the existing crappo lip seal pistons with the new long lasting O-ring pistons.

It will be the single greatest brake improvement you can do for longevity and reliability of your brakes.

I also recommend getting the braided stainless flex hose. These will add to a solid pedal as they will not bulge out like the OEM rubber hoses do.

If your power booster is 20+ year old original, you should go get a replacement from autozone too. It will be a Cardone brand and they work perfectly. Your brakes will never have felt better.

These are the things I did along with the required red painting of caliper to get rock solid brakes.

Brent...
Old 09-26-2003, 06:00 PM
RC73
Pro

Default Re: Caliper core charge (MN-Brent)

Thanks MN-Brent for your help and advise, much appreciated, and your right the new ones that I bought are SS sleeved. Just needed a little help in deciding on which way to go with the original ones, did not know if they had any value besides the core charge.

[Modified by RC73, 5:03 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

:iagree: :iagree: take the cores back!! there is also a company in Florida called "Precision" (I think) that advertises in the NCRS paper who has a very nice billet o-ring at a reasonable price. I saw a set at Bloomington.
...redvetracr
Old 09-26-2003, 09:57 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I agree with MNbrent, it's not going to matter much about the cores if their no good. I just swapped out the four on my 79 to VB&P for four O'Ring calipers. And on two of the cores I got a reduced rate, however they did refund me the full amount when I complained. And considering how old and how often these calipers went bad, the ones on your car probable arn't original anyway.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:52 PM
stabb
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I did the autozone calipers, and the advanced autoparts calipers. I was fighting air for a year. I took the 1 year old calipers back to the stores where purchased and they told me nothing was wrion with them because they were not leaking (fluid). I took them and sent to VB&P. Best money spent on my 76 to date. I got a kit with Master cylinder. SS lines, Bolts, Clips. Pads. NO MORE PROBLEMS! Next I'm going back for the rotors. :lurk:

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper core charge

Quick Reply: Caliper core charge