C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers?

the title pretty much sums it up. looking for a set of shorty headers, CARB exemption would be cool too, but they have to have the AIR tube provisions. also, a ceramic coating option would be very nice.
BTW, just in case your wondering, i simply don't have the ground clearance to switch to full lengthe headers.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:02 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers? (clutchdust)

I'm fairly sure that Sanderson has an air tube option on their tubular and cast headers. No EO number though. - I dont know of any shorties with air and EO numbers.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers? (clutchdust)

By good I am assuming you either have stock vette shorty headers and/or you do not think they are good. Not sure what year the vette starting the tubular manifolds but I would imagine they would/could be fitted to your set up.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:34 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:confused: You may want to drop that question on the C4 bunch. I think they use a fairly short header with A.I.R. fittings. :yesnod:
Old 09-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Consider best- get Dynomax Cerma coat, add air tubes if necessary, do a slight angle up where the ex. connects to headers in largest part of reducer.
That should do it, if not rec. modify the headers for slight upturn.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:09 AM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers? (Ganey)

Gary I have a set of Sanderson shorties and they look great. I talked to their Rep. and he told me he would add the AIR tubes if you needed them for a small fee, then have them coated. They are really built good, the flange is one of the best I have seen and claim to require no gaskets. Jim
Old 09-27-2003, 08:50 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers? (PROSOUTH)

hi, jim! long time, no talk. did you get my e-mail? ;)
thanks guys. i will probably check into the sandersons. i've already done enough fabrication and i know i'll be doing more in the future so if i can have someone else do it, it'd be worth the extra money.
:cheers:
Old 09-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I have a set of "shorty" headers that came from an C-4 (I think) Originally they had a set of heat shields bolted over them and air tubes coming out the top. They are very much like a set of Rams Horn exhaust manifolds made out of stainless steel pipe. There are 4 seperate tubes about 1-5/8" in diameter that go down to a common 3 bolt collector flange.
I cut off the air tubes, and welded the holes shut, then cleaned and polished them up by wire wheel and sand blasting. After they were cleaned and smoothed I wiped them down lacquer thinner, and sprayed them with Techline Coating's Ceramicoat. Popped them into the oven for an hour at 500 degrees. At the end of the hour, I took them out let them cool and buffed them with 0000 steel wool. Instant Jet Hot like ceramic coating.
They are currently on an 82 Chevy truck that a buddy of mine is building for his son.
They look good but I don't think I'd use them on my 'vette. Dynomax headers are too good a value and would certainly out perform the shorties.
Another possibility is to buy a set of Dynomax headers and install your own air tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers?

Quick Reply: has anybody found a good set of 'shorty' AIR tube headers?