C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

were can you get c3 blue prints

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:32 AM
bnytro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were can you get c3 blue prints

want blue prints of suspension, engine, frame, drive train ect....ect......
Old 09-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (bnytro)

I'll tell you as soon as I win the powerball lottery. :lol: :lol:
Old 09-26-2003, 07:32 AM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid America or Corvette Central has complete factory build sheets.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (jpatrick636)

Build sheets are definitely not Blue prints. Good luck finding them, it'd probably be easier to just by a vette and make your own blueprints.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (jpatrick636)

I think he is talking about the assembly manual. It has plenty of drawings. Sort of blue print like.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:44 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

I would think that the 'blue prints' are property of GM, and now stored in the archives. From what I've seen, automakers don't often 'release' this data to the public. (the assy manual is for factory assy. The blueprints are for part build)
I know I've often thought that I'd like to have some prints myself, for dimensions.
Let us know if you find out otherwise.............. :yesnod:

[Modified by ROD NOCK, 9:47 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

there many, but not all, blueprints in the chevy Power Manual c1976.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

bnytro,
I know where there is a set of frame blueprints!! Are they worth $1000 ??because thats what the guy wants for them. If your still interested E-MAIL ME DIRECT!! redvetracr@msn.com

[Modified by redvetracr, 9:32 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 11:21 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a frame dimensions drawing that can be found at http://www.corvettefaq.com.

That's all I've seen.

The AIM doesn't have that many dimensioned drawings.
It does have the body height measurements near the end.

:seeya
Old 09-26-2003, 11:52 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (redvetracr)

What I wrote> want blue prints of suspension, engine, frame, drive train ect....ect

Mid America or Corvette Central has complete factory build sheets <yes I have, but little dimentions
I think he is talking about the assembly manual. It has plenty of drawings. Sort of blue print like<not really

I would think that the 'blue prints' are property of GM, and now stored in the archives. From what I've seen, automakers don't often 'release' this data to the public. (the assy manual is for factory assy. The blueprints are for part build)
I know I've often thought that I'd like to have some prints myself, for dimensions.
Let us know if you find out otherwise. <yes but venders and races/shops do accuire them

, blueprints in the chevy Power Manual c1976. . <yes but that was mostly engine but worth kill for

There is a frame dimensions drawing that can be found at http://www.corvettefaq.com. . <yes but those are measuring points to see if car frame is bent, for body shop

redvetracer...... i picked up a set of herb adams arm bushings upper and lower you want me to blue print them since you seam interested
and a coppy of herbs adams book for the vettes is coming soon i believe its his "make your 68-82 vette out handle a 84 interested????? :steering:
Old 09-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Sir:

GM blueprints for car parts are not generally available to the public. These documents contain proprietary information that can be compared to company secrets in a sense. They provide the information needed to duplicate the GM part.

If the parts were patented, then copies of the blueprints would be available from the patent office at the Library of Congress. However, most parts are not actually patented.

If you are willing to pay an application fee to GM Restoration Parts, they will provide the original blueprints. Of course this also involves a licensing fee and royalty to GM to reproduce that item. If you are not prepared to sign a 3 year license to reproduce that item, then blueprints are not available.

Early in the 1980’s before the GM Restoration Parts program was instituted I met a gentleman with a 1964 and 1971 if I recall correctly. In conversation, he told me he was the director of Warehousing & Distribution at GM and that he could get me any blueprint for any Corvette part that was obsolete. I thought he was bluffing, a “puffer”. However I eventually decided to call his bluff and request some particular blueprints when we spoke again.

I sent him a letter and fifured he was a dud. Sure enough he sent them and much more. These genuine GM prints came right from his office, in large pre-printed GM envelopes with his personalized GM stationary with his title. I was blown away. If I requested 3 or 5 part numbers, he would send 15 blueprints that showed every part that led to the part numbers I requested and every subsequent derivation from that part number. He would even include other GM documents that explained the GM specifications.

As a result of this fellows assistance I received a few hundred Chevrolet Motor Division blueprints. This made the puzzle of making a repro much easier, authentic and of the proper specification. Once I asked him why he offered these blueprints to me and he stated that it helped GM sell the other Corvette widgets they still had. As he explained it to me, the production of repro parts assisted selling many other parts that GM still had in inventory. In other words the availability and distribution of repros helped GM get rid of the old C1, C2, C3 parts still in inventory. It may sound crazy, but that is exactly what he told me and with his position at GM I had little to doubt his authenticity or sincerity.

So the make a long story short, blueprints are generally not easy to obtain, however there are exceptions. This fellow had so much stroke that I once asked him why a certain Corvette parts was recently discontinued, yet it was so popular. He wrote me and said wait 8 weeks and order the part as usual. He had that part reinstated.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D
Wanted: 1969 L-89 conv (no project)
Old 09-27-2003, 02:09 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (Doc Rebuild)

Fascinating story Geoffrey. Are you still in contact with the gentlemen?

Old 09-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (GDaina)

George:

He has since retired from GM. His daughter has one of his Vettes now. Regretfully, I have not spoken with him in a while. He was a great source. He even provided some advance notice when some items were going to be discontinued. Never asked for a dime. On occasion when I would have a part reproduced that also fit his car, I would send him a sample and request that he "field test" the part. That was as close as any exchange or reward was involved. He was very knowledgeable, helpful and a class act.

Now I’m retired too. And I must subsist on a widows pension. :D My wife works and I don’t. :D

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Old 09-27-2003, 02:33 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Now I’m retired too. And I must subsist on a widows pension. :D My wife works and I don’t. :D
Now that can't be all that bad, can it? :lol:

BTW, why are you still looking for a 69 L-89? Did you sell the black one you got from Number #1?

I think I hijacked this thread..... :skep:
Old 09-27-2003, 02:44 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Great story Doc,

You didn't by chance, get the prints to the hinge for the rear hatch on the 82 Collector Edition?????

(oh please oh please, say you did) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

George:

I still have Jerry’s old car. I’m always looking. There are no pockets in a coffin. My current kick is an RV/Motorhome. That way I can bring the dogs along and even trailer a Vette to drive once I get where ever I’m going. :D

1982 blueprints: no. They are too new. :D

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Old 09-27-2003, 02:51 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (Desertdawg)

Not so fast Dawg, I was in line first...now Geoffrey, as we were so rudley interrupted :D , now lad, did ya happen to git the instrument bezel for my beloved 68?

Get notified of new replies

To were can you get c3 blue prints

Old 09-27-2003, 03:04 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry Mister Moderator (bully), I didn't mean to interrupt your interesting (NOT!) conversation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Doc, If anyone ever decides to do a repo of the hinges, they will sell a bunch of them.

I know I would buy a set tomorrow. :thumbs:
Old 09-27-2003, 03:08 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: were can you get c3 blue prints (Desertdawg)

Ditto for the 68 instrument gague bezel. Can't stand the doctored 69's made to look like a 68.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:14 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

George:

I cannot assist with that one. :D I’m retired. :D

I had Tom Barr’s ex L-89 out Wednesday night for the Corvette only cruise held every Wednesday night at the Heavenly Donut on Rt 34 Derby, CT. (A little plug for that cruise. :D) When I left I nailed it in first (4:11 rear, CR Muncie and F41) and it broke the wheels loose after the clutch was already completely out. What a beast and its bone stock. Even has the smog pump. It also has genuine GM off road exhaust pipes and there is no repro that makes that same sound. :D I have a video of that exhaust rumble on my web site.

As you well know, these old L-89’s are such neat streetable 427 Corvettes, unlike the L-88’s. I suppose if I had enough money for an L-88 I would have to enter vintage racing events to really drive it.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105

Quick Reply: were can you get c3 blue prints