C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to remove undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 01:51 AM
MarkV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best way to remove undercoating?

My '77 L-82 was originally from Illinois and was undercoated, I'm assuming at the dealer when it was new. I'm currently in the process of removing this vile stuff! :mad I've been scraping with various scrapers and using lacquer thinner to remove the last bit of residue. What a PITA! Anyone got any better methods besides using a torch (which is out of the question for obvious reasons)? They even undercoated the spare tire carrier! All I can say is that undercoating is some seriously nasty stuff.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:53 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (MarkV)

Try 3M adhesive remover. and a lot of scrubbing
Old 09-26-2003, 02:25 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lacquer thinner evaporates too quick...As Bseery suggests, Adhesive remover, or Kerosene, paint thinner, parts cleaner. Whatever you use, let it soak in.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:03 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Dude, I probably have more than 80 hours into trying to get this crap off of and out of my frame. I've tried everything and all you can do is use degreaser, paint thinner or whatever and scrub, scrub, scrub. Good luck-I know how much it sucks.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:23 AM
Wilson6t7
Race Director

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (GDaina)

Aircraft Stripper.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:10 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try aircraft stripper sold at Pep Boys, water based stripper for metal, wood, etc. at a hardware store comes with a small spray bottle,blue can......the name escapes me, but worked good for me.... :flag
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I feel for you guy, I've been there, my car had so much undercoating on it you couldn't see where the frame and crossmembers met the under body!
I ended up with 3 5 gallon buckets of the stuff. The only good part was the the metal underneath was pristine! The worse part was removing it from the fiberglass, it was 1" thick under my wheel wells. I used a stiff scraper and a cup shaped wire brush on the end of a drill motor to get most of it. The rest I got off with paint thinner/Lacquer thinner mix and a wire brush. After I wiped everything down I coated the metal with POR15 and then sprayed Krylon semi-flat paint over the POR while it was still sticky.
It turned out great. Here's a picture of the right rear wheel well and frame I took while re-installing my Trailing Arm.

It is worth the effort and pain,
Old 09-26-2003, 12:51 PM
vettery
Racer

Spray kerosene, soak, brush, scrape, spray, brush, scrape, brush, wipe, spray kerosene mixed with Gunk degreaser (rinses clean with water), soak, brush, scrape, spray, brush, scrape, brush, wipe, rinse. Once dry, repeat as neceessary.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:53 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (Ed T)

I got a tip here from LemansBlue68 to use a heat gun/paint scraper, works real good. Get the big stuff off & follow up w/ mineral spirits.

[Modified by Ed T, 10:23 AM 9/26/2003]
Yup, heat gun will make quick work of the underspray.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (Smokehouse69)

I feel for you guy, I've been there, my car had so much undercoating on it you couldn't see where the frame and crossmembers met the under body!
I ended up with 3 5 gallon buckets of the stuff. The only good part was the the metal underneath was pristine! The worse part was removing it from the fiberglass, it was 1" thick under my wheel wells. I used a stiff scraper and a cup shaped wire brush on the end of a drill motor to get most of it. The rest I got off with paint thinner/Lacquer thinner mix and a wire brush. After I wiped everything down I coated the metal with POR15 and then sprayed Krylon semi-flat paint over the POR while it was still sticky.
It turned out great. Here's a picture of the right rear wheel well and frame I took while re-installing my Trailing Arm.

What a heartless act of product placement... you work for ACDelco... haha
Old 09-26-2003, 02:25 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (Spook)

I'd agree and go with a mixture of kerosene and Gunk. This is a tried and true
parts cleaner that we used way back in power shop ('high' school daze).

:jester :jester
But ... Why would you want to remove it ? How do you protect your frame
when driving in the snow/salt/sand ?
:jester :jester
Old 09-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (NHvette)

I use Kerosene in like a Windex bottle-just keep soaking it and use a plastic type scraper. Metal ones can gouge and scratch IF you're not careful. While I'm scraping, I'll have like a stainless steel pan to catch all the drips and gunk, then I'll pour it into a plastic jug for disposal.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:47 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (Paul Borowski)

I've just been using a puddy knife... start on one side, about an hour latter your to the other...

I'm gonna just wire brush the frame.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:36 AM
MarkV
Racer

Default Re: What's the best way to remove undercoating? (Smokehouse69)

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, it will be next to impossible to remove all of the undercoating from my frame. Nothing short of hot dipping the bare frame will get it all. It's all over the gas & brake lines....it's even totally covering the fiberglass spare tire housing. It was even coating the lower part of the fan shroud! I believe that the inner fenders were coated with undercoating from the factory, and I won't be removing this. I just want to get all the undercoating off of the frame and everywhere else under the car it's not supposed to be. Its a good thing that it was there all those years ago, because I'm sure if it wasn't the frame would've been long gone from rust with it being a car from up north. But #1, I won't be driving the car that often & #2 we don't use salt on the roads down here in southern GA. I'll be trying a heatgun this weekend along with lacquer thinner and some new stuff I picked up at Home Depot called 'Goof Off'. I'll just keep at it until I get the majority of this crap off the frame! BTW, what is POR 15, a primer?
Old 09-27-2003, 02:27 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

POR15 is a frame coating, hard as nails when dries...neutralizes the rust.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to remove undercoating?

Quick Reply: What's the best way to remove undercoating?