C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for ZZ4 owners (headers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
garandfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
Cruise-In 7 Car Show Winner

Default Question for ZZ4 owners (headers)

Well I think I decided to go with a ZZ4 motor. I have some questions regarding headers. I want to retain my stock sidepipes. Have any of you put headers on a ZZ4 motor with the "D" shaped ports? if so have any of you retained your stock 69 style side pipes?

I need to figure out who makes a shorter header for the heads used on the ZZ4's. I don't think mid length or long tubes will work with the side pipes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Frank
Old 09-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Question for ZZ4 owners (garandfan)

Hooker sells sidemount headers.

BSeery posted in another thread that the header port style will not make a big difference in performance according to GM.

-Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Do you have stock exhaust manifolds on your car? If so then you can put them on a ZZ4, if you want headers then connecting them to stock side pipes it is a little harder, unless you use shorty headers. Either shorty headers or you'll have to come up with some creative "S" curves from the collectors to where the sidepipes come out from under the car.
Don't worry too much about the "raised D port" exhaust ports, they are only about .25-.30 higher than stock ports and really not shaped all that differently than stock heads. The difference in height on the ports doesn't really affect how the exhaust hooks up since you can pretty easily find that amount of play in the up and down movement of the stock exhaust.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 PM
hauk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of "D" port headers from hedman for my 73,I have had them about 6 months and I like them,They were a bit hard to install but worth the trouble :)
Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Question for ZZ4 owners (hauk)

Here are the Headman Headers with "D" shaped ports for the ZZ4. Since you have side exhaust then these will not work unless you go back to undercar exhaust. Everyone is probably correct when they talk about the performance loss over oval ports but if you were a serious racer and were looking for every advantage then port matching is one thing that can be done to squeeze out that extra 1 to 2 HP...which may make the difference between beating that Rustang or loosing to it.:D
Old 09-26-2003, 09:37 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Question for ZZ4 owners (theandies)

In the GM manual for the ZZ4 they talk about the D ports. They say that testing with both D port headers and standard headers produced the same results. You are actually connecting to a larger area so there is no flow restriction.

As far as some really good shorty headers - http://www.sandersonheaders.com - they are the best quality for shorties.
http://www.sandersonheaders.com/page...tnum/cc1ho.htm

[Modified by BSeery, 7:39 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I just used my Dynomax ceramic coated headers. They fit right on and with a nice set of percy's aluminum gaskets I have not had any problems.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:24 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Question for ZZ4 owners (BSeery)

In the GM manual for the ZZ4 they talk about the D ports.
Brian,
Your engine came with a manual? Mine didn't. How many pages is it? If it's not too long think you could send me a copy?
John

Get notified of new replies

To Question for ZZ4 owners (headers)

Quick Reply: Question for ZZ4 owners (headers)