C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Hood or Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Hood or Stock?

What is the main diference of a long hood in comparison to a stock one? Do thing need to be replaced to use this hood? Sorry if this is a stupid question but while looking to replace a hood I need to know which one to get so I dont waste money. Thanks
Old 09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (Shark Attack)

What year do you have? After '72 Vettes did not come w/ a vacuum powered wiper door. By looking at the emblem on you avatar I'd say you will need a long hood.

:cheers:
Old 09-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (Corey 68)

Well the avatar i chose cause it looked neat. I do not have a vette yet but am looking at a 72 this weekend hopefully. If I buy it I will want to return it to a 72 front as it currently has an 80 front. I like the bb hood and would want one that is taller than stock (my preference) but didnot understand the diference in the long VS short hood. What does it accomplish? Thanks
Old 09-25-2003, 06:58 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

Starting with 73, they went to the long hood and scrapped the wiper door and inlet grill between it and the short hood.

In your case, if the 72 has an 80 front, it would need the long hood, unless you are going to the expense of adding the wiper door and inlet grill. I can't imagine you'd be doing that, unless you were looking to convert this car back to stock.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

I like the bb hood and would want one that is taller than stock (my preference) but didnot understand the diference in the long VS short hood. What does it accomplish? Thanks

Ok, a short hood goes from the nose of the car to the wiper door. A Long hood goes from the nose all the way to the windshield since there is no wiper door. There is no Advantage or disadvantange as you put it, it is just what the car came with stock. '68-'72 Vettes have the short hood where as the '73-'82 has the long hood. You can not run a long hood on a '68-'72 car unless you eliminate the wiper door.

:cheers:

[Modified by Corey 68, 6:00 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

THanks guys. that explained it well. So, if I replace the front clip I can use the long L88 hood then, and it in turn would "hide" the wipers. Am I correct?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

THanks guys. that explained it well. So, if I replace the front clip I can use the long L88 hood then, and it in turn would "hide" the wipers. Am I correct?
Correct, if you don't have the wiper door, the Long hood is what you want. :thumbs:
Old 09-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Thanks Corey
Old 09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, if you don't have the wiper door, the Long hood is what you want. :thumbs:
Not so fast. It depends on what front clip you put on the car. If you put back a stock '72 front clip but try to use a standard long hood, the lines between the hood and the fenders up hear the windshield will be all wrong. I have heard that someone (Ecklers?) makes a long L-88 style hood that is designed to mate up with the '68-'72 fender line up at the windshield.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:04 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shark Attack, one more thing. I noticed that you posted this as well as the question about the wrecked '68 needing a front end. Trust me on this one thing, as I speak from my own personal experience as well as the experiences of many others here:

In the end, you will spend more money buying a project car and fixing it up than you would by buying a better, more expensive car initially. Plus, in the end, the fixed up project will be worth less than the more expensive car that you let pass by.

It's painful to learn this the hard way. :banghead: dang, my head hurts....
Old 09-25-2003, 08:36 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (sb69coupe)

I have that Ecklers hood on my 69'. I'm not just saying it because I have one, but you will be very happy switching to it if you convert back to the 72' front end (wize choice!). Yes you will remove the wiper door and the other cowl type piece (you can tell I'm not an all original, numbers matching type person) in front of it. The hood Ecklers sells will fit if you remove these. It's true that you won't line up with the fenders near the winshield. That is until you remove the two stainless trim pieces that are in that area. These pieces would mormally line up with the trim on the wiper door, but since it won,t exsist, the stick out further than the new hood. Removal is easy but you will probably need to paint the area where the fender trim was. Thats my spiel! Hopw you get the car, hope you enjoy it! :steering:
Old 09-25-2003, 08:55 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Here are some pics of the long hood on my 72, before and after paint.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (AlwaysWave)

AW, your car looks sweet!! That is the hood and front that I want. Now to just get this deal to follow through and Ill be a happy camper.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
OneHotV6
Instructor

I just purchased a '70 coupe and want to eliminate the wiper door and go with a cowl induction hood. How hard is it to take out the wiper door??

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 08:31 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (OneHotV6)

I like the look of the wiper door, it also keeps the wipers hidden from the drivers seat. I also like when kids watch the door open to reveal the wipers.
http://www.geocities.com/gdhurst/gdh_72vette.html
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 AM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (OneHotV6)

I removed my stock hood, wiper door, grill, and all the vacuum wiper system parts in about 1 hr on Fri. No problem! Just take the wiper arms off first. It makes getting the wiper door control arms out easier, and you can take it out in one piece! :cheers:
Old 10-15-2003, 12:37 PM
OneHotV6
Instructor

Default Re: Long Hood or Stock? (AlwaysWave)

To (AlwaysWave).. nice car! How much modification does it take to make the hood fit so it's not hitting the windshield? I was at a show last year and a guy had an L-88 hood on his '69 with a big crack in the base of the windshield because the hood didn't fit properly when closed.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Long Hood or Stock?

Quick Reply: Long Hood or Stock?