C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:15 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice

Went to have my windshield replaced today, and found that the top corners of the frame are rusted through. The holes are approximately the size of a quarter. There is also rust on the upper pillar surface and across the top rail. A couple of the molding clips near the center are rusted pretty badly too. Thankfully, the lower portions of the frame seem to be OK. So, here’s the question: Should I start looking for a replacement frame to weld in, or can I repair this guy? It seems like the least intrusive method would be to clean up the obvious rust, weld up the holes and weak spots, and POR-15 the dickens out of the whole shebang. Any opinions and/or tips?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice (LT-1 Larry)

It all comes back to the cost of the labor/skills to do the job...

I have noted that both Zip and Volunteer Vettes (Vol is out of Knoxville, TN) http://www.volvette.com list part numbers for every section of the front windshield frame. So, if you are fairly handy with a torch and metal clamps/braces, you could probably either replace the offending sections of frame with your own metal creations or graft in the sections tailormade from volvette.

I recall a step-by-step in one of 'Corvette Resto' books that described replacement of sections of the windshield frame.

I know my day is coming on my L48... When I replaced the windshield, my frame was rough but not rusted through. I hit it with a metal wire grinding wheel and the local paint store's equivalent of POR-15 and had the shield installed.

[Modified by TedH, 4:27 PM 9/25/2003]

[Modified by TedH, 7:43 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 05:40 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice (TedH)

I started that job on my 69 a few months ago but didn't get to finish it yet. I welded the passenger corner already and it was better then using the replacement pieces. I started on the left then moved on to another vette project :smash: :crazy:
I used .040" sheet metal to fit it into the open areas after removing the rust. Grind them down after welding with a 4.5" grinder and you should be ok. The cost of a welder or grinder is nothing compared to what shop would charge,$1,500-$2,000 I heard quoted in the past.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:42 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Thanks for your posts. Question for gtr1999: Do you have a picture of the finished corner? Mine are so rusty and gunky that I can't tell what they are supposed to look like. I can tell that the surface where the windshield sits needs to be flat, but up where the molding sits it isn't easy to figure out. You're right on the price. A shop gave me a quick estimate of 1500 to 2000. :cry

Actually, does anybody have a picture of what the top corners look like without windshield and molding? New stuff would be best. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:30 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Sorry I don't have digital camera. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of the finished side that I can scan. I tmay a day or two for me to get this done with my present schedule. Look in the AIM and it will show you the detailing onthe frame. It's nothing more then .040" or there abouts sheet metal spot welded together.
If you want new corners I'll sell you mine for my cost. I think they were $69 each? I didn't want to cut the corners out if it wasn't necessary. I maintained the correct alignment by welding the orginals.
Gary
Old 09-26-2003, 01:39 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same problem, on upper left corner, size of a qtr..dug it out, cleaned it, welded a piece in. Painted the whole windshield frame with zinc chromate.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:53 AM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Everyone:
Thanks again for the input. STPMAN e-mailed me some pictures of an entire birdcage he just had acid dipped, with close up shots of the corners. Exactly what I was looking for. Special thanks to him, and CorvetteForum ROCKS!!
:cheers:
Old 09-29-2003, 12:01 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I could Help

:cheers:

Steve :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice

Quick Reply: Need Windshield Frame Repair Advice