C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:57 AM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor adjustments

I have never done carburetor adjustments before. I bought a Holley 750DP and am going to be putting it on my 383 Stroker I am putting in. Does anyone have the procedures to tuning idle speed and mixture on the carburetor. I have the Chilton's guide and it gives a very sketchy step by step on how to do it, but I dont think it is even applicable with all the mods I have done.
Thanks,
Karl
Old 09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Carburetor adjustments (ill_driver)

Hey Ill: I've not had any experience with your carb. Some would say that you should use an Air/Fuel meter to set the carb. That's probably the best way given that you've got one and that you have a place in your exhaust to insert an O2 sensor. Here's what some might say is a bubba way that work's pretty good:

1) Remove breather from carb
2) Warm up your engine to normal operating temp with vacuum lines connected.
3) Ensure your choke has opened. If not, then you'll need to correct this before proceeding.
4) Adjust your idle speed screw to whatever is suggested as the normal idle RPM. If you can't find this info, then set between 600-800 RPM.
5) Run your fuel mixture screw IN (probably clockwise) until the motor starts to flutter. Optionally, run the screw all the way in and then back out about 1 and 1/2 turns or to where-ever the motor will run.
6) Using your hand with motor still running, begin slightly covering the top of your carb and listen for the motor to run faster.
7) If the motor does run faster, then your fuel mixture is too lean. Turn the mixture screw 1/2 turn out (probably counter clockwise). Repeat steps 6 and 7 until the motor has no noticable increase in RPM.
8) If in step 6 the motor has no noticeable increase in RPM, your air/fuel mixture is about right.

Hope this is of help :cheers:

[Modified by marshrat99, 12:58 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Carburetor adjustments (marshrat99)

I found this article helpful:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~brewer69/sta...#smoke%20accel

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor adjustments

Quick Reply: Carburetor adjustments