C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:30 AM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start?

Im installing a MSD Tach Drive Dist, Blaster 2 Coil and 6AL box tomorrow in my 71 454. Any words of wisdom from those who have been through the install? Also it is best to install the Dist as is and work the advance curve later or should I try to set the curve before I start.

thanks in advance :hurray:
Old 09-25-2003, 09:46 AM
WeasleVette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start? (conway62)

Have you been peeking under my hood? Here's my 2 cents worth. I put my 6A box under the radiator overflow pouch. I had to have the right louver behind the right front tire off to do the job. You can't even see the box. Make sure the 12v source is directly from the battery. In my case I connected at the started soleniod. The previous owner used the alternator + out for a 12v source and it fried the 6A box.

My distributor is set at 16 BTDC at 500 rpm with vac adv disconnected. The heavy springs are installed for even advance across the rpm range.

I am also using Accell 8.8 300+ wires. Not necessarily cheap, but another purchase made by the previous owner.

Don't know if this helps you or not but I'm happy with the way MY '71 454 runs. Good luck!! :cheers:

Weasle :D
Old 09-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start? (WeasleVette454)

Everyone seems to have their own favorite spot to mount it. I decided to mount mine inside the car that way I don't have to worry about heat, water and dust. It's not a bad install, vert straightforward.

Good Luck. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start?

Quick Reply: MSD install tomorrow. Any suggestions before I start?