C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do i need to pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:56 AM
bluelotus0
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to pass smog!?!?!?

what exactly do i need to pass smog? i have a 383 stroker under the hood with about 25k on the engy the car is a 78, is there some where i can get a complete exaust, somethin cheep (not planin to ceep it) is there any ways i can pass with heders and true duel exaust live in frisco any places around here i can find what i need!?!?!?!?!?! :chevy

[Modified by bluelotus0, 7:58 AM 9/25/2003]

[Modified by bluelotus0, 8:40 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: what do i need to pass smog!?!?!? (bluelotus0)

What year car. Believe that 73 and older do not need to be smoged in CA :)

tom...
Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

what exactly do i need to pass smog? i have a 383 stroker under the hood with about 25k on the engy the car is a 78, is there some where i can get a complete exaust, somethin cheep (not planin to ceep it) is there any ways i can pass with heders and true duel exaust live in frisco any places around here i can find what i need!?!?!?!?!?! :chevy

Move to VA! No emmissions test it 25 years old

[Modified by bluelotus0, 7:58 AM 9/25/2003]

[Modified by bluelotus0, 8:40 PM 9/25/2003]
:flag :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 09-25-2003, 06:50 PM
PigPen
Advanced

They will check things like OEM air cleaner, functioning heat riser, EGR on the intake manifold, air pump, ignition timing, all functioning as from factory. Exhaust should be 2 into one with catalytic converter then back into two to mufflers.
You will be exempt from testing in 2007 I believe, but that's the California law. The Federal EPA says "You cannot change the configuration of anything up to and including the catalytic converter" unless approved by E.P.A. So you could always be cited for no Cat even if you were exempt from the inspection.
The police around here (Los Angeles) are always nailing the ricers for illegal exhausts, so they are wise to the law. The fines for violating FedEPA laws can be very expensive.
Many places offer the pre bent exhaust pipes with the front and rear Y's. The headers will not pass unless approved. :banghead:
Old 09-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not likely. You'll be flunked as soon as they open the hood. Sorry :sad:
Old 09-26-2003, 12:43 AM
blunsford
Racer

I've heard that overdriving the AIR pump with a smaller pulley pushes so much air that it helps fool any sniffers. Can't say for sure because I live in IN were the commies haven't taken over the state - yet.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:19 AM
76BlackStingRay
Advanced

AHAHAHAHAH YOU NEED A NEW CAR MAN LOL finaly got your butt on thie forum lol. funny knew it was your post as soon as i read the topic.... had to make a new name too forgot my old name lol (oh and its keep not ceep) also like i told you no headers no dule exhausts and you need to run smog tubes out of the exhaust that you will go into the smog pump........

[Modified by 76BlackStingRay, 6:22 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: what do i need to pass smog!?!?!? (76BlackStingRay)

My 1980 is smog legal in AZ.

I have an EGR mounted (doesn't work). The A.I.R. pump is there, but does not blow.
My engine is a ZZ4 with dual exhaust and long tube headers. My headers are Hedman thermal coated with A.I.R. pipes. I am running true duals with dual cats. My truck was a single exhaust vehicle that recently passed with dual cats just fine.
For a 1980 in AZ they sniff the tail pipe at 30 MPH constant for 1 min, idle for 1 min, and then and under car / under hood inspection. I have to have EGR, AIR, evaporative, CATS and gas cap.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:09 AM
Songman
Intermediate

I just ran my 82 through CA smog. What a pain in the butt! Old Corvettes ALWAYS have to go to Test Only shops and they go over them with a fine tooth comb. Anything that is not factory on the exhaust will flunk you. Visual test is half the battle in CA. The guy laid down on the floor with a mirror on both sides of my car and spent 10 minutes under there! They also put your car on a dyno and run it at different RPMs... Took about half an hour. It's almost like they try to make it fail! Mine did... But a new CAT and a new O2 sensor passed it the next time... But with all of the goodies on there you'll have to see a referee and convince them...

Get notified of new replies

To what do i need to pass smog

Quick Reply: what do i need to pass smog