C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette owners with water leaks, please read this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 01:40 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette owners with water leaks, please read this!

hello, i am in the process of painting my car, and the whileimatits got me to strip the interior also. when i got to the floor pans, the water that had set in there had made the pan rust out really bad, not through, just pitted, when i took steel wool to it, it fell through, small holes though, easy to weld

just want to keep everyone else from having this problem!

good luck!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vette owners with water leaks, please read this! (SharkBit)

Boy I got more to learn. I thought the pans were glass like the car. Thanks for the tip. Ill look there when I buy mine.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:57 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Vette owners with water leaks, please read this! (SharkBit)

Unlucky :( I found the pans on my '81 were just starting to rust when I changed my carpets (another bad case of while-I'm-at-it-itis.... I was "only" intending to change my tranny at the time! :) ). I'll probably get flamed for this, but I cleaned them up with thinners & then slapped a nice thick layer of underseal (bitumen) on them, going up about 3" all round the edges. When it dried (about 24 hours) I fitted the carpets. The carpets grip the bitumen very well & only needed glue around the top edges. 6 months & a very hot summer later, the carpets haven't moved (or turned black!), the interior doesn't small of bitumen & I'll wager that rust isn't a problem. Getting the carpets up in the future may be a headache!
NB. the carpet set had the thick plastic-like stuff on the back. If I'd used the wafer thin stuff that I removed then the bitumen would probably have soaked through them.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Vette owners with water leaks, please read this!

Quick Reply: Vette owners with water leaks, please read this!