C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grundy Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 07:48 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Grundy Rant

I don't like airing dirty laundry on the forum, but Grundy has me really fired up.

First off, I have a sparkling driving record. No tickets or accidents or claims. Period. Also, I have two locked garages.

That being said...

I attempted to obtain Grundy insurance, about a year ago. I was denied. A Jennifer there told me I had to have a car collection. They would not insure a single Corvette :confused:

So I said, no problem. I have two, possibly three, other cars that qualify: A '74 and a '79 Datsun Z, and an '83 GTI (it's a classic to me).

Jennifer told me she'd get back to me, but never did. I sent e-mails, but received no response.

Then, at Carlisle, I ran into a guy named William, who represents Grundy. He was very cordial. I told him my situation. I also added that since my correspondence with Jennifer, I had added another Corvette to the stable. He said it didn't matter, because they would have insured the single Vette, anyway. He gave me his card and told me to contact him when we were all back in town.

So I called. And I got Jennifer.

I don't know that it was the same Jennifer. But after giving her my info, she said she'd get an application right out to me.

But now, nearly a month later. Nothing.

I can only assume they don't want my business. So I'm going with the competition.

Has anyone else gone through this with Grundy?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Grundy Rant (joeveto)

A highly respected body shop I go to recommended Grundy, so I got an automated quote off of their Web site yesterday and planned on contacting them. Glad you posted your experience, and I will be interested to see if any other "horror" stories appear. If you're having this much trouble getting a call back to set up some insurance, I can only imagine what may happen when it comes time (God forbid) for a claim. I wouldn't mind knowing who you plan to use instead.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:20 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had Condon and Skelly for the past 5 years and I've been very pleased. I have my 74 insured for $15K with $0 deductible and it costs me around $150 a year. They have a 2K miles per year limit and the car should be used for hobby purposes.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I'm working with a guy named Eugene Scott (800-770-6202), from American Collector's Insurance. This guy has been patient with me, but there when I need him. Honestly, he wants the business, but isn't pushy. Very helpful.

Grundy might be the greatest thing since sliced bread (they are slightly less expensive), and everyone else at Grundy might want the business, but Jennifer doesn't have time for me, and I don't have time for her.

You know darn well, God forbid I should have a claim, I'll call and get her...

By the way, I'm not related to Eugene, and I don't get a kickback for putting his info here. This is just a testimonial. So far, I've been impressed with him.

:cheers:
Old 09-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

joeveto,

Did you mention it either one that you had semi-hopped up your vette with more HP? I'm just curious as I have still not heard back from Hagerty on my '71(which is completely stock) and I am figuring they will be dropping the '74 since they know I was planning on drag racing it. They made me sign a statement that I would not drag race the '71(of which I faxed to them), but it's been a month now and no response at all. I plan on beating Hagerty to the possible rejection as I'll be putting an E-bay ad together this weekend.

And I just got my insurance bill for my truck & the '71 vette. Purely liability for now as I was planning on picking up Hagerty. $173 just for liability for 6 months with State Farm as the vette's portion of the $375 bill. That seriously sux. And as I noted before they(my State Farm agent) looked at me like I was stupid for asking if they could be competitive with Hagerty. Why join in when you can overcharge people who have never had a ticket, wreck or claim in 30 years?

[Modified by bgrice, 8:17 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:26 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Grundy Rant (bgrice)

When asked if it was modified, I explained that the car had the stock block rebuilt. As I was explaining, I heard dead silence. I interpreted Jennifer's silence as being that of someone who doesn't understand cars. I didn't really consider the liability factor. Just the same, Jennifer said she'd get the forms right out to me.

I told the same thing to William (the Grundy guy), at Carlisle. He said "no problem." They have both "stock" and "modified" descriptions for their policies. I believe if the car is modified, you just have to explain what and why.

Eugene, at American Collectors, said he could have my '85 insured immediately. But the '77 would take a little longer. That the '77 has a rebuilt engine, does not matter.

I dumped Jack McCoy, at State Farm, as State Farm was four times as expensive (for the Vettes), and my agent, Jack, couldn't care less. I would bring new business to his office, and the women he had working there would roll their eyes and slam the desk. Really. I'm bringing more business to the agency, and they were giving me a hard time. So I went with Met. And they have been a pleasure.

Also, when I bought an Apartment building that State Farm was already insuring, Jack told me, not in so many words, to go pound salt. State Farm didn't want the building anymore, and this was State Farm's chance to get out. Sheesh. I was in the middle of closing, and I couldn't get a return phone call to save my life. That's when Nationwide stepped in and helped me out. For all of you Akron people, Ron Budzowski is a great guy. Saved my rear.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Wow, I'm currently with State Farm and my agent and his staff are not like that at all, but they ARE expensive. I currently only have liability, and that's $531.56 a year for a 34 year old with a clean no ticket, no accident record, and a multi car discount, and the '79 Vette is listed as a limited use vehicle! To add comprehensive I'm looking at about $900. a year, and full coverage would cost me about $1200. a year! :eek: :mad :banghead:

[Modified by Corvette_fetish, 4:24 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:25 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Grundy Rant (Corvette_fetish)

I was paying $285 a half for full coverage on the Vette, with State Farm. Before they dumped me (just said the risk was too great :skep: ).

Met had me at around $260 a half for full coverage on the Vette. In both cases, it was limited use but no real mileage restrictions.

Get notified of new replies

To Grundy Rant

Quick Reply: Grundy Rant