C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)??

Old 09-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)??

I can understand that some of us are getting a little older, and should be tolerant of the younger crowd, but for the life of me I cannot understand why a mis-spelled thread from a young person who whines about discipline imposed by an Assistant Principal at a highschool generates more than 1500 replies. Have we become a chat room? And I give Geoffery C. (Dr Rebuild) credit for putting that thought in my mind when we had an extended on-line NCRS/Forum argument about a year ago.

OK, rant over. Back to the C2 area. Immigrant visa to C3 (post June 2003) has now been stamped.

Seriously, I have seen so many names disappear because of these kinds of trivial posts. My contributions have trailed off as well. I guess Bob Dylan was right: The Times They are a Changing. But on an optimistic note - if we can forget highschool parking lots for the moment - my Christmas present present would be Dep defending the 302 once again. I loved that debate.

Over and out; back to C2 and my 1967. Love you C3 guys though.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (paul67)

Paul

It has been a while since you where in high school so think back, waaaaaay back to when you where in high school. If you had a vette (maybe you did?)that probably would have been your whole world. Now think if you had your principle tell you you could not drive it to school and then also had a outlet like the forum to vent your frustration, would you have posted it? The kid wanted to vent but also get some advice some older wiser guys like you.

:)

[Modified by Fevre, 4:27 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 05:41 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (Fevre)

The way I see it is that they are discussing the actual use of these wonderful cars instead of the repairs. Sometimes its a nice refreshing topic.

I know that to alot of people its a hobby and they need to share info to make their cars what they want. I feel that we should split up the C3 into seperate sections because it would be easier to find the content that you need/want.

Heck they could even make an NCRS correct section. :cheers:
Old 09-24-2003, 05:44 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that there are way too many trivial posts. How many times can a person ask everyone elses' opinion about what color to paint their car? Paint it whatever darn color you want. If it's that difficult a decision, drop it off at a shop and let them decide. On the other side of the coin, I also get sick of seeing forum police telling everyone else what is acceptable on the forum. If I don't like a topic, I usually JUST DON'T READ IT. But when you start telling other people that your opinion determines what forum rules are-like inadvertantly "hi-jacking a thread", maybe you should go sit in a corner and whine to yourself. I'm very into details and am into efficiency and hi-tech ideas in my '79, but I usually don't get into discussions about "Why I should correct my bumpsteer", simply because I'm more reserved in that aspect. I know alot and have alot more to learn but most of these discussions turn into people having strong OPINIONS about how things should be done when alot of time it is either irrelevant or based on personal opinion. It sounds to me like some people are upset because the forum isn't designed in a way that is convenient for them. And PAUL67- this isn't meant as a flame towards you. I've gone on some of the other corvette related forum sites and have seen other members of this site talk about how CF has turned into a kid's chat room, because there isn't enough "technical chat". We are all enjoying the hobby, but we don't have to talk about the same things. A while back, I did get upset because I needed some real assistance about why something on my car wasn't working right. It seemed like a simple request to me, but I got NO responses. How many stinking threads are going to be started about torque thrust II wheels and look at this ebay auction? Speaking of which- it seems like alot of threads get started just to bash on someone else. Do some people have that much time in the day to search out things to be insulting. "Hey look, I found another thing to bash on." Can't we all just get along?

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 4:48 PM 9/24/2003]

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 5:04 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I hope I'm not too young to respond to this thread, Paul.

I think the topic at hand was not a big deal. I can see why it would get more attention than the usual help question. A typical question in C3 only requires 2 or 3 answers.

That particular subject did lend itself to a debate, while "where are the door panel screws at" would not. *shrug*

My "C3s are slow" thread took off like wildfire too, go figure. I think I only posted about 6 words total at the starter, too. :eek:

-Steve
Old 09-24-2003, 05:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (Pacin'California)

Paul, I STRONGLY disagree with you on this one. A good part of that topic was the issue of "loud exhaust", ie how loud is too loud, how to tone it down if it is too loud. It could just as easily have been an older member "whining" about getting a ticket for loud exhaust, just as a Harley and a garbage truck cruised by, twice as loud but unticketed. Many members of all ages are prone to spelling errors, and as you know an error in the topic title cannot be corrected, so really that is a nitpicky point. And finally, I like to see young people owning corvettes and participating in this forum. They are the future of the hobby and probably seen as a little strange (or at least nonconformists) by their peers for choosing an old American car rather than a late model Japanese car.

Plenty of off the wall off topic topics here in C3, and frankly they don't bother me much. This particular topic you cited, I don't even consider it Off Topic. :) MJ
Old 09-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (Fevre)

My first car at highschool time was a Morris Mini-Minor, 850cc engine. Morris Garage (MG) produced them in those days. Yes it did need a muffler. But that is not terribly relevant.

My point is that a highschool trivia question generates over 1500 replies. Why? One reply would have adequate: put on an exhaust system meeting local municipal or state noise standards. The Assistant Principal could not argue with that.

BTW, I note the smiley. Some of this is tongue in cheek also. I miss the old Forum.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

it's 1500 views not replys... it has under a 100 replys.

C3 section has been going down hill for months, we need a mod that will actually clean up all the OT crap.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:55 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually dont mind an off topic post as long as it has the "OT" in the subject line.

I'm pretty new to the forums, but I was a little shocked a few of the comments on that thread. It seemed that a couple people choose to vent a little on the guy. Other than that one topic everything seems like an extremely friendly place to be.

By the way....What the heck does "TTT" stand for. Usually in forums people just type the word "bump" to bump up an older topic.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (Masterfulks)

By the way....What the heck does "TTT" stand for. Usually in forums people just type the word "bump" to bump up an older topic.
to the top, same thing as a bump
Old 09-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (flood)

Heck they could even make an NCRS correct section. :cheers:
They did! FCR, but most of the guys left for another forum. :lol:
Old 09-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (79VetteMike)

Mike,
That's a lot to swallow! My inclination over the years has been to contribute to technical issues where I felt competent to make meaningful comments (usually with pics) that will allow C3 members to make a reasonable judgement as to how to get on with their problems. In matters such as cams and engine repairs I was silent. That is not my area of expertise. Ganey can take care of the cams and others the engine work.

My post this evening was not to bash the young fellow but just to raise the question of what this Forum is! And your point about EBay links just strikes home. It becomes so tiresome to see a bashing of an EBay vendor. It has become an electronic hunting game. Most of the "chosen" do not know the Black Book for a hole in the ground. But for the most part they have been honest ads with realistic prices. We can whine about wrong colours, bumpers, hood ornaments, etc, but outright fraud is rare. But we do like to whine!

Can we get along? Of course we can. We have in the past and we will in the future. But those threads re EBay ads that have found an L-48 hood emblem on a C3 (and the like) can get annoyimg. And if you check my post stats you will see a pattern of lack of interest in recent times.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (MNJack)

You and I go back a long ways in this Forum ;) . I did not say the topic was off topic. I said it was an indicator of the type of topic - in my view trivial - that would elicit a massive response to trivia. Basically the C3 Forum is self-regulating so if that is what the population wants then that is what it will get. And that is fine. I was just making an observation; valid or not. I do give the young fellow credit to a certain extent on choosing a Corvette. But you know he would be much better off at his age with a stock Honda Civic to get himself around more economically. I struggled in my 30s to keep a C3 on the road with the needed repairs. But I did not have a deep wallet and that was my problem. It becomes a question of priorities.

BTW, as to noise this is my exhaust system. Would this provoke 1500 "views?" The usual cat among the pigeons question. Of course there is no answer. Thanks for replying!

Old 09-24-2003, 07:51 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (79VetteMike)

79VetteMike I agree with Paul67 100%. If you are bored with bump steer which is a very real problem with handling and a legitiment topic don't read it. I agree that the forum is being taken over by a bunch of kids and have started looking elseware to talk to more grown up knowledgable people. I have also started visiting the C1 C2 group. I find that most of our knowledgeable people have backed right off from this forum.
I see posts I can easily answer and think to myself why bother. Maybe one of the posts was yours?
For years I thought this forum was great and spent alot of time here trying to help others but not so much anymore.
There are other forums out there that hopefully I can get away from the kids. I have spent 35 years teaching kids and sometimes I just want adult conversation. I have classes up to 105 students and there is always the attention seekers that come in late and have to make an enterance and disrupt the class. I look at this kid as just another attention seeker. I don't have time for them.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:57 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Watch this post receive over 100 responses :yesnod:

Frankly, I understand your point. And I sympathize. But I belong to other forums, like my Mitsu Montero Sport forum, that are real sleepers. It's boring as heck, very little participation or anyone who knows anything. It's sad.

This forum is alive. People here care, they know their stuff, and they post. If we end up having some silly posts too, who cares?

Ignore it.

When they make me read the posts I'll complain.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (joeveto)

Joe,
My guess would be 50. This thread is irrevalent to those who find highschool parking lots a primary subject in the Corvette hobby. So let's get on to the next ricer, fart-pipe bash or let me choose the EBay subject of the evening. There must be a C3 pimp-mobile out there somewhere.....
Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I certainly hope that guys like Norval, Paul, Matt, Fevre and a number of others don't give up on this forum. Paul, I remember you and I having this same sort of conversation last year which led to a slew of petitions for a tech. section. One of the issues that I am seeing is that some of the younger and also newer vette owners are just really trying to learn about their car. So some of the questions are so open ended do to the fact that they themselves are not sure what to ask hence the topic goes off topic very quickly. In the past some of the replies to threads got very personal and hurtful due to differenced in opinion, this for the most part has stopped but the many of the more knowledgeable guys/gals have just quit this forum. There has also been a growing tendancy to use this forum as a chat room/personal bulletin board.
What I am trying to say is please don't lose your tolerance of some of the posts in here, Norval you are a great educator with extensive knowledge pls keep sharing it with the rest of us, Paul I have always had all of the respect in the world for your posts and input. I get frustrated with some of the posts as well but I don't think that I would have to go back to far to see what some of the "open questions" were that I posted on my way to learning how to build a 383 stroker and being walked through the whole process part by part by MountainMotor. I truly enjoy sitting with SuperFast80, MotorHead, Dwayne76, Ghostrider, 68shark with his V6 Grand National as well as his vette and talking about performance mods, "what have you done and all bs aside how well did it turn out". The follies of advertising hype vs true unadulterated bang for the buck performance enhancement which means not just hp/tq but suspension upgrades, and driver expertise. Paul and Norval I do tend to side with you on the noise issue, but not because of what a principal would say but out of respect for others in general. What ever happened to the common courtesy of trying to keep your ride as quiet as possible when going through a school zone, a hospital zone, old age home, church etc. On Sat I was in a funeral procession, driving my vette and some idiot in a POS 78/79 cut through the procession on a number of occassions, to me that was as disrespectful as anyother noise issue. Again guys, pls stay and contiue to educate the rest of us. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)??

Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (norvalwilhelm)

79VetteMike I agree with Paul67 100%. If you are bored with bump steer which is a very real problem with handling and a legitiment topic don't read it. I agree that the forum is being taken over by a bunch of kids and have started looking elseware to talk to more grown up knowledgable people. I have also started visiting the C1 C2 group. I find that most of our knowledgeable people have backed right off from this forum.
I see posts I can easily answer and think to myself why bother. Maybe one of the posts was yours?
For years I thought this forum was great and spent alot of time here trying to help others but not so much anymore.
There are other forums out there that hopefully I can get away from the kids. I have spent 35 years teaching kids and sometimes I just want adult conversation. I have classes up to 105 students and there is always the attention seekers that come in late and have to make an enterance and disrupt the class. I look at this kid as just another attention seeker. I don't have time for them.
Norval, what places would that be? I'm interesed, my topic is all the way down the bottom again so i guess no one really cares.. again, I'm on my own and I'll just find out what I need to know by myself :)

I hate it when the interesting stuff gets drowned by all the crap but.. oh well.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)?? (norvalwilhelm)

Norval,
A lot of what I said tonight was intended to stir up discussion, and may have been provocative, as I have had concerns for several years. I have posted on this subject on several occasions in the past but the corporate memory has gone...wherever memories go. Tonight I guess I went numb when I saw those stats on the young fellow who does not know a principle from a principal. And those who think school parking lot noise is a right? Whatever. This must be Jean Crouton and the Charter of Rights in action? I know that that is a Canadian nuance but you may get the point.

In any case, I find the C3 Forum has little relevance, or need, for me any longer. So I will hope down to C2 where it is very quiet but generally informative.

On the other hand, my recent O/T thread here on an intake manifold problem did elicit some very informative replies. So it may be a wheat vrs chaff debate and reading only the wheat. Do I sound like a Canadian Liberal? ;)
Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul67 -
I searched the archives and found many O/T threads posted by you in the C3 forum. Yes, most were marked O/T, but still, there they were, taking up space. I enjoy reading all posts, even though I can't find a good way to apply some of them to my vette. Pics of your former 79 vette surrounded with girls didn't help me with my gas leak, but what the heck, you found it interesting enough to share (several times) , I looked at it, and went on about my search for pertinent answers. Keep in mind, as the membership grows, so will the number of O/T posts, even if each individual posts only a small percentage of O/T among the technical. We are ALL guilty of this. Remember that each time you post an O/T topic, it encourages more of the same. Please don't come here to complain and then leave. Stick around, contribute when you can, and ignore the rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The C3 Forum Times are Changing...Assist Principle(sic)??