C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Larsson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71

Hello, this time I wanna ask you what you think of a deal I've been offerred. So no, I haven't bought a beaty yet but I want her to be perfect so my search has continued :)

It is a -71 Stingray in absolute top condition. The frame is restored, the engine is a new engine with a four-bolt block instead of the normal two-bolt (Im not sure about that but that's what the seller told me) and injection, somewhere around 400 hp. Is is likely that the gascomsumption will be lower with an injection engine?
New color, but it's an originalcolor, the color the car was from the factory, some yellow-orange, beautiful!
New suspension system. New th700 gearbox with an overdrive gear. All rubberstrips are changed. New cover on the seats. Everything seems to work fine.

BUT, there is always a problem, it's not cheap of course. If I translate it to dollar it would be around 18k,
a normal original stingray costs in sweden around 13-14k in normal condition.

So I wonder what you think I should do, does this sound like a fair deal or is it just stupid to buy a Stingray that is so heavily modified? Will it not be worth much at all when the original ones rises in price?
It's "only" the motor and gearbox that's not original but that makes a lot of difference. It truly looks beatiful and seems to be in perfect condition, even the engine room is shining (I know, that is easy to do but anyway :)).

Grateful for any of your opinions. I hope to soon be able to contribute to this forum with anything else than beginner-questions
Christian Larsson, Stockholm, Sweden :cheers:
Old 09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71 (Larsson)

I think you have found the perfect vette.

71 (great year) :thumbs:
Great condition.
Fuel injection
Overdrive tranny.

If I ever buy another C3, I will want FI and OD for sure. What about A/C?

You will pay $12-15k for a stock 71 in fair condition. If everything was done correctly, I think you are buying a perfect vette.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

So I wonder what you think I should do, does this sound like a fair deal or is it just stupid to buy a Stingray that is so heavily modified? Will it not be worth much at all when the original ones rises in price?

The car will still hold its value, but will not increase as the prices for originals do.

Buying a heavily modified car is a good deal if that is what you want and the price is right.

I personally think the car is too expensive relative to an original for the US, but you are in Sweden and I cannot comment on prices relative to an original by you.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:13 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Ask yourself what it's worth to you. Are you the kind of guy that needs a numbers matching car to give himself a warm fuzzy at night? Would you actually be happy keeping it that way, or would you get bitten by the mod bug anyhow? Do you plan on entering it in shows? Or would you rather have a car that looks as good, isn't original, but has some up to date technology in it? You'll find that there aren't a whole lot of numbers matching horses here in C3 world.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Larsson
Instructor

Default Re: Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71 (LAvetteman)

Thanks, just the kind of post I was hoping for :)
Just spoke to the owner again, a really nice guy and he's sending over some
more pics. Can't wait.
I don't know about the A/C. Will check up on that.

I didn't fancy the yellow vettes before but this is a true beauty.

But what do all of you think of what will happen to the rising/sinking price when it is so heavy modified? I shouldn't be thinking of that, I'm buying a friend here, not an object, but anyway.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Larsson
Instructor

Man your to fast, while I was writing the last post two more answered :)
But keep em' coming!

Thanks for your opinions so far!
Old 09-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

list all the cars you have ever bought, and the price you paid and the price you sold.
Then we can see if you have skills in the buy/sell arena.
Here in the US 17 million new vehicles are sold every year, and 16,999,998 lose money. :eek:
Old 09-24-2003, 04:45 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks, just the kind of post I was hoping for :)
Just spoke to the owner again, a really nice guy and he's sending over some
more pics. Can't wait.
I don't know about the A/C. Will check up on that.

I didn't fancy the yellow vettes before but this is a true beauty.

But what do all of you think of what will happen to the rising/sinking price when it is so heavy modified? I shouldn't be thinking of that, I'm buying a friend here, not an object, but anyway.
The next time I buy a C3 I will pay $18k for one with FI and OD rather than $15k for one that doesn't have those mods. As for appreciation, true it MAY not appreciate in value like an all original, but then again it might, in my book it will.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I agree with the others If you are buying it for an investment you are investing in the wrong thing. If you are buying it for fun it sounds like a great car. I don't think the value will decrease on these cars it just won't go up as much as the "perfect restored" cars. If you are confortable with the price and condition get it. I can't say what the value of cars is there but a real nice modern drivetrain early 70s Vette could go for 15 to 18K here.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:35 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71 (Gordonm)

Speaking strictly on value, if you compare a heavily modded car such as the one your describing and a restored /maintained original car, the modded car will sell for less and appreciate more slowly if at all.

Speaking on the fun and reliability factor this car could be a good deal depending on the quality of the work done to it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :chevy
Old 09-24-2003, 05:57 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71 (LAvetteman)

The next time I buy a C3 I will pay $18k for one with FI and OD rather than $15k for one that doesn't have those mods. As for appreciation, true it MAY not appreciate in value like an all original, but then again it might, in my book it will.
<----I agree

What exactly do you want? Is this car what you want, or will you be changing things to make it what you want. Personally, I always try to buy original-not for value sake, but for the sake of knowing that everything I do to it will be my work and not something "Bubba" did. I like very modified Vettes, so I personally look for a bare bones car and do to it what I want. Is this a car you see yourself enjoying or is it a car that you will be afraid to drive? Will it be an investment or a fun car? I think everyone else touched on the investment side of the arguement. Are the mods that are made to the car worth the asking price and are they things you want done? That is where your decision is made as far as buying a car to drive as apposed to an investment prospect.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 4:58 PM 9/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71

Quick Reply: Good deal? Buying a modified Stingray 71