C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Birdcage rust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Birdcage rust question

What is considered too much damage (from a repair standpoint) when it comes to rust in the birdcage? Location would be at the bottom of the windshield in the door area. Also, what is involved in repairing this area?

Thanks for any insight on this topic
Old 09-24-2003, 03:23 PM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Birdcage rust question (Mr D.)

well u should post a pic... I would consider myself close to an expert bering that most of the windshield area on my 72 was rusted... My advice is don't do what i did (I used ospho and whire brush and grinder to get rust off then i fiberglassed over all of the holes and made new corners.) My advice is this. If you can weld and fabricate build pieces to pach the holes. If you can't see if they cand be built by a body shop. If someone could host I would post some before and after pics of mine If someone could teach me how and host them for me... It is not perfect looking but it got the job done. If you are still stumped E-mail me some pictures and i will tell you what i think... Also have you taken off all of the trim /molding Inside and outside of the car? If not... You may run into some more problems too. Ohh and if you haven't removed your windshield yet... that can be quite a bad area as well.
E-Mail: RMS1494289@aol.com
I hope that i helped you in some way.
:thumbs:
Old 09-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Birdcage rust question (Mr D.)

I have some rust in my lower windshield pillars that I need to address sometime in the future. I know there's a place in CA that will sell a whole new windshield frome for ~$200. IM me if you want a link. I don't know how bad mine is so I don't know if it's repairable or not...I may use this company in CA.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:29 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Birdcage rust question (bigblockbob)

Check out this post, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=644816, for the worst case. Checkout my web page for the best case.

Get notified of new replies

To Birdcage rust question

Quick Reply: Birdcage rust question