C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dist. cover support bracket install??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 10:40 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dist. cover support bracket install??

I'm putting the distributor cover back on. My question is where does the support bracket bolt to the engine? If it bolts to an intake manifold bolt, can I remove the bolt without having leak problems later, or should I "redo" the complete intake manifold?
A similar question: when I install my reproduction shielded spark plug wires, can I get away with removing one valve cover bolt at a time (for the ground wire) or do I need to "redo" the entire cover so as to not get leaks.
BTW, I have a '70 BB.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 11:00 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Dist. cover support bracket install?? (70vert)

The smart thing to do would probably be to redo it all, but I'm a big believer in minimum effort. :D I just pulled the necessary bolts and retorqued them when I did it & no leaks so far. Same with the braided plug wires--I just installed a set last week and just pulled and retorqued the appropriate bolts (by the way, you don't hook them up to every bolt--they go two to a bolt, every other bolt, 1st & 3rd on passenger side, 2nd & 4th on driver's side). No leaks so far there either. The real PITA with the plug wires is hooking them up to the studs on the bracket inside the sheilding, especially on the driver's side where they want to touch the contact on the coil and short things out.

JB

Quick Reply: Dist. cover support bracket install??