C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help-backup lights are stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:29 AM
ENTRPRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-backup lights are stuck on

The backup lights on my 76 4 speed won't turn off. Is there some kind of switch on the shifter or tranny that is sticking. I know I could just pop out the bulbs, but I'd rather fix the problem. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Thanks Kirk

[Modified by ENTRPRZ, 3:36 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Help-backup lights are stuck on (ENTRPRZ)

Most likely the lever has fallen out of the switch and left it on. Go under the car and look at switch on tranny and see if any loose part is hanging or missing.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Help-backup lights are stuck on (Surfer69)

I don't know if its the same but on my 73 the backup light switch is part of the nuetral safety switch attached to the shifter (auto). There is a small pin that attaches it to the shifter.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My backup lights were also stuck on. There is an electrical switch inside the tranny that is normally open, but closes when you put her in reverse. Using my ohmmeter I found that this switch is closed all the time. There is a two wire connector coming off this switch. For now I just disconnected it so my reverse lights never turn on. It looks to me like I will have to pull the tranny apart to get at this switch, so I won't be fixing it until I replace my tranny with a five speed a few years down the road.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:21 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a round switch with a rod that works off the shifter mounted to the drivers side of the transmission. It may have come loose or the rod is lost. As a quick fix the wire has a connector up near the firewall which can be disconnected until you get another one. Be careful in the parking lots till you get this fixed!

Get notified of new replies

To Help-backup lights are stuck on

Quick Reply: Help-backup lights are stuck on