C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:00 AM
CajunRaceR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering

I have had my 79 Vette for 8 years and have always hated the feel of the steering. The other day I went to the garage to find it leaking ps fluid upon starting. Rather than replace truly worn out system that is on the car, I would like to set the car up using easily found or factory parts. I heard that an early J car rack would work, but that part is supposedly rare. I need road course type ratio rather than an autocross type rate.

thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (CajunRaceR)

may i suggest Steeroids? :yesnod:

Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (SIGNGUY)

Hey Signguy-How often do you drive that thing? It's immaculate. I'm doing the same to my frame, but I'll be driving it everyday. We'll see how long it stays pretty.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:49 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (79VetteMike)

I gotta tell you,mine never looked that clean,but here's what only one year of daily driving can do toa work of art.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:39 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (79VetteMike)

Hey Signguy-How often do you drive that thing? It's immaculate. I'm doing the same to my frame, but I'll be driving it everyday. We'll see how long it stays pretty.
thank you :) i drive it everyday provided its not raining...
thats the main thing...wet roads sling wet sand and crap up under there...
i also wont drive it on dirt roads etc...thats what the pu truck is for! LOL
the amazing thing is that its not a "cleaned up" undercarraige...
its literaly been garage kept all of its life from what i understand...
(driven regularly but kept in a garage)
i DO however get under there every few months and clean it and also touch up here and there if i see places it needs it...
some of my friends think im crazy not driving it in the rain but hey, they arnt making anymore of these and good ones are getting hard to find... :yesnod:
Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (CajunRaceR)

Steeroids is your answer! :yesnod:
Old 09-25-2003, 08:15 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering (groovyjay)

Steeroids is your answer! :yesnod:
:withstupid: :iagree: :withstupid: :iagree: :withstupid: :iagree:
Steeroids is AWESOME!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:03 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The Steeroids unit looks like a good alternative.

I like my 79's power steering for road course work. anything that makes it easier on long hot days is a plus. I tried manual years ago when I got sick of drips and replacing pumps. Then I was muscling the steering wheel and it broke the dash mount. It's like you can't win. Almost all lapping cars use power steering

Heat is what kills the power steering seals. So what I did was smaller crank pulley to limit the pumps rpm and installed an small auto tranny cooler on the return side. I also just use ATF for fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering

Quick Reply: 79 Vette - Want to Remove Power Steering / Convert to manual Steering