C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Water pump questions

Hi,
It's looking like my water pump is about to die, so I need a new one PDQ. I've got a choice between a cheap(ish) stock one or a more costly aluminum one. Apart from the obvious weight savings (& some more stickers for my collection!!), are there any other advantages to fitting an aluminum pump? Are there any disadvantages?
TIA Paul (L81)
Old 09-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Water pump questions (UKPaul)

The one disadvantage that I experienced on an aluminum water pump was the thickness of the mounting flanges. The original pump has ears about 1/4 inch thick, the ears on the aluminum one I bought are about 1 inch thick. This difference threw my alternator alignment way out. So then I had to come up with a new alternator mount to make it all work. No biggie for me, I had the car all to pieces anyway. Just an annoyance.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Water pump questions (Eddie 70)

Eddie,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about pulleys & drivebelt alignments, etc. Didn't even think of the mounting flange thickness. Good one :thumbs:
Thanks
Paul
Old 09-25-2003, 07:52 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you need a new one seriously consider using a high flow. The added flow is worth it for cooling.

Take a look a the Stewart Water Pumps stage 2.
http://www.waterpumps.com
Old 09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Water pump questions (bigvette1)

If you need a new one seriously consider using a high flow. The added flow is worth it for cooling.

Take a look a the Stewart Water Pumps stage 2.
http://www.waterpumps.com
:withstupid: Stewart :thumbs: :thumbs:
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/
Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Water pump questions (Metal Wulf)

Thanks for the advice. I've gone for an aluminum pump with stock flow rate as heat isn't a problem with my Vette. Only problem now is getting that stupid heater hose attachment out of the old pump!
:cheers:
Old 09-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

When I changed my water pump, the heater hose attachment came out fairly easily, don't think it will be any real effort.

Paul.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:59 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Water pump questions (Pauld)

Hi Paul,
Unfortunately not :( It's practically welded in there. I'll try lots of heat & brute force tonight & if that doesn't work it'll be back to applying vast quantities of ignorance with the brute force :)
Are you going on the cruise on Sunday? I was planning on it, but if I can't get this stupid, darn..... :cuss
Old 09-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi again, Paul,
I really like my FlowKooler aluminum (aluminium? :lolg: ) hi-po pump. I have heard others complain of failures with it, tho. I've had zero complaints, over 7 years and probably 35,000 miles. The fit was completely trouble free, no alignment issues whatsoever.

I didn't have any trouble getting that old pipe out of the stock pump, either, and the old pump was pretty badly corroded. Had the pump locked down in a vise, applied the Liquid Wrench penetrant, added a bit of heat from my little torch, and out she came.

Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by Gator81, 10:20 AM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 01:13 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Water pump questions (Gator81)

On the getting the heater hose fitting out of the old pump - why? Go to AutoZone and in their "HELP" section of odds and ends they have the various new fittings for a couple of bucks. Get a new one and install. Happy water pump installing.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:30 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I have a brand new edelbrock Victor series pump for sale in the C3 Parts section. This pump not only offers a higher flower rate, but it also offers equal pressure to both sides of the block, which most pumps do not. The heater hose fitting is a $2 item here, so I could send a new one along with the pump if you want.
My post is here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=639427

Edelbrocks page on it: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Text from their site about the pump:

Optimum Cooling for Chevys, Chryslers & Fords
Edelbrock Victor Series water pumps provide maximum cooling for the street and the race track. They’re ideal to prevent overheating in street rods and street machines, as well as in tow rigs and motorhomes. Using state-of-the-art racing technology, Edelbrock has designed these “super cooling” water pumps to provide maximum flow, maximum pressure and equal distribution to both sides of the block within 1%. Available for most popular applications, these high-performance pumps flow in only one direction for optimum efficiency. The casting’s computer-designed internal passages and CNC-machined cast iron impeller produce the maximum flow rate possible. Features include: aircraft industry clearances; heavy-duty 3/4" bearings and billet steel hubs. Chevrolet water pumps that may be used in race applications have a unique O-ring that provides a far superior seal than conventional gaskets.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

7t2vette,
Thanks for the offer. I wish I'd had a bit more time as I would have had that off you (needed the Vette for the last cruise of the year).
bigvette1,
We don't have Autozone here. SBC's aren't common here so most places don't sell anything for them. I got the fitting out of the old pump after a lot of heat & brute force was used. It didn't move so I tried the old trick of tightening it up & sure enough, it broke loose :)

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump questions

Quick Reply: Water pump questions