C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:57 PM
80Xflags
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions?

I was having a lot of problems getting my timing set right so I decided to take the whole distributor apart and clean it up. Further inspection revealed not a drop of dielectric grease (new or crusty old stuff), all the contacts were dirty, most of the wires are dry-rotted/cracked, the "insulation" around the pickup coil disintigrated, I don't think the vacuum advance was working, and the whole thing is just dirty inside. So, I think it's time for a whole new distributor, what do you think?

I was looking into some of the Summit brand, Mallory, or Proform HEI distributors. I'm not sure if they come with the module, but if they don't, is it worth replacing that too or should I just clean up the old one? I don't need a high performance distributor, but something with a little edge over stock would be nice. Any suggestions on what to do, where to shop, or what to get would be great . . . I'm a real novice when it comes to ignition components :conehead .

Thanks!
Matt
Old 09-24-2003, 07:53 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions? (80Xflags)

If you don't have any real major wear on the bushings (slop), etc, than I would consider a D.I.Y. rebuild. From what I've seen over the yrs, the old dielectric grease seems to dry up and disappear. And some how, the unit continues to function.
You can buy a matching coil and module that will exceed stock RPM ratings, new drive gear, etc. You can make the correct wires and connections to replace the bad ones. Soldering connections is highly suggested.
If all this seems a bit much, that consider a new unit. They make some real nice billet units out there, if budget is no concern.
I currently run an Accel dist with their coil and module. I've also installed these and D.U.I. brand for others with good results.
You also have I.M. :chevy
Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions? (ROD NOCK)

Get the mallory unilite with vacuum advance. You also have to run a ballast resister and i like the Crane cams super coils and digital multi spark units.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions? (80Xflags)

Just received and installed a new Summit distributor last week. For the money its not bad. It came ready to run with coil and extra advance weights however I would recommend purchasing an adjustable vacum advance for the unit. There is 20 degrees mechanical advance in the unit so your initial advance will be higher than stock but I can't complain about the unit at all.

Get notified of new replies

To I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions?

Quick Reply: I think it's time for a new distributor :( suggestions?