C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate engine disaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:37 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Default Crate engine disaster

I was up visiting my engine builder today and he had a 615 cube Bill Mitchell crate on the dyno while I was there that he was running in to get ready for some dyno pulls. He told me that his customer bought the shortblock from Bill Mitchell and the heads from Sonny Leonard, some big Brodix 5's and had Mitchell assemble it. Well the engine never really ran right for a 12.5 to 1 615 with a big solid roller so he broght it to my guy to look over. Along with alot of other little problems they had put the wrong thrust button in and the cam was walking forward and had almost eaten through the timing cover and the lifters had actually bumped the next cam lobe to the front. So all that metal in the engine although luckily none of it seemed to make it through the filter because the bearings were fine. I guess it is a good idea to give these crates a little going over huh. Unfortunately I had to leave before they made any pulls but he expected around 900 horsepower. It sure sounded sweet. :seeya
Old 09-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Crate engine disaster (69ttop502)

Many like myself have found that just cuz some so called pro builds it doesn't mean it will run right. Granted if a part fails through no fault of the builder then how can you blame them? But they should stand behind their work even if it was a componant part failure. Sounds like that was a hell of an eng, lucky they caught it before it really let go.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

That's the second Bill Mitchell horror story this week on the Forum. Sounds like BM has some employee problems.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I think you hit it on the head. Just 'cause someone gets paid for it doesn't automatically make them "professional"!

These type engines are ungodly labor and detail intensive. A very good engine builder has to try to anticipate every concievable issue during assy. and try to head it off. Everything you install either needs massaging or something to fit right. nothing every actually bolts on.if it does..you missed something!

Good to hear it didn't get hurt too bad. Should be a sweet piece.

I recently heard of another big time builder seling high end crate deals. It was a 572 that was supposed to make 775 hp in street trim. Well it made 680 hp! It was sent back and the replacement was also dyno'd. It made 690! The customer was a less than happy camper!

It's a lot tougher to generate honest big HP numbers than the magazines would lead you to believe. They make it look easy!

JIM
Old 09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Crate engine disaster (427Hotrod)

No way should they be having cam button/cam walking issues though :D

Get notified of new replies

To Crate engine disaster

Quick Reply: Crate engine disaster