C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:30 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!!

Man, a lot of names on the forum i dont recognize! did everyone from a few months back just up and sell there cars or something? Anyway, I bought a modified crate ZZ4 from Sallee Chevrolet in Oregon and had it shipped to Hawaii while i was sweating my sack off in the jungles of the Phillipines ( for a worthy cuase i assure you). It has ported heads and intake manifold and is rated at 385 hp/410 tq, which is not too bad! I actually had the motor dropped in by a local performance shop ( dont ask how much it cost) so i could have her sort of ready by my retun arrival date. That didnt work out as the ghost of my own rebuild fom a few months back arose and turned a two day job into a week long engine drop adventure. Try missing bolts, missing cotter pins, missing starter, missing or broken pulleys and enough custom fabrication to justify a stint on monster garage. I hav no real idea how many ponies will make it to the rea because i have true dual exhuast but no headers and still use my rebuilt Q-jet. I know headers and a Demon 750 make more since but theres a time to feed the money pit and a time to not feed the money pit and it's nearly $8 large later and one very very maxed out credit card beyond that point ( thank god for tax free combat zones).
Anyway, were do you guys suggest i buy a reliable car battery. I've had trouble with two Sears diehard's in a row and will not be giving them any of my money again!
how do you guys suggest i go about beaking in this new engine ( have a funny story to tell about this but not now, this post is longer then i'd most likely read already)
And finally, my windshield wipers wont work when i try to turn them on, any suggestion????
Well, thanks in advance!!! :D
Old 09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
garandfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
Cruise-In 7 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!! (sharkthehunter77)

Looks like we have some things in common. I am looking into a sallee engine, but the option 4 model at 420HP. Also My wipers don't work either!! :-)

Plan on pulling the old and tired motor next month, and spending a month or two working the engine compartment offer with a new facelift!! Will talke the no wipers, and no heater blower without the motor being in the way!!

Let me know how the motor works out.

Semper-Fi, Frank
Old 09-23-2003, 09:46 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!! (garandfan)

Spent some time in the PI myself, welcome home.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:49 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!! (sharkthehunter77)

glad your back. i'm still around! :seeya
as for breaking in, it's pretty standard stuff. at first, the engine should be fired and rough tuned so you won't damage anything. then run it at high idle (1800-2200rpm) for about 20 minutes to break in the cam. after that, what i usually do is change just the filter and top off the oil level. then run 500-1000 miles varying your speeds. don't do any tire scorching burn-outs but don't drive like a granny either. you need to accelerate 'briskly' a couple dozen times to help the rings seat. most people will recommend you don't take the engine over 3000rpm for the first couple hundred miles. i wouldn't redline it, but i might take it up to 4000 a couple times, then 5000 and so on. after about 500 miles you should be able to change the filter and go to the standard oil you like, at that point, break-in will be pretty much done. also, be sure to vary your speed. putting break in miles doesn't mean getting on the highway and driving around the island untill you hit the 500 mile mark. you have to keep the engine speed variable.
i'm sure others will jump in with their magic formula and i'm not saying mine is better than theirs or vice versa. take the advice that seems to make the most sense and flavor it to taste. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to sallee though and find out what they recommend. i'm surprised the new engine didn't come with a break-in proceedure.
be patient through the process and enjoy the new found power for years to come
:steering: :cheers:

[Modified by clutchdust, 11:50 PM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 02:53 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!! (clutchdust)

Sallee included the GM ZZ4 manual with my motor. I just followed their break in procedures (about the same as above) so they couldn't question any warrenty coverage. I never needed the warrenty though.

Get notified of new replies

To Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!!

Quick Reply: Back from deployment, and the crate motor is in the vette!!!!!