C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:18 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump

I received three o-ring seals with my power steering pump. I think I have installed them properly. The two 'small' o-ring seals are for the two threaded studs that go in the back of the pump for attaching to the mounting brackets (one bracket attaches to front of block at the lower left of timing cover and the other bracket attaches just forward of the left front motor mount). The third is for the pressure coupling that screws into the rear of the pump (which the high pressure line then screws into).

Correct? I'm just asking so that I didn't install the pressure coupling o-ring incorrectly. Was wondering if I should have installed it on the high pressure line where it screws into THAT fitting (as the fitting had an o-ring although it looked like it had been on there too long - perhaps from before the unit was rebuilt). That is the thing that caused me to think twice; it had a new o-ring in thepackaging and there was already an (old looking) o-ring installed inside the pump on that pressure fitting. :crazy:

[Modified by TedH, 2:19 PM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump (TedH)

I assume that the power steering pump that you purchased came without a reservoir and you are supposed to install your old reservoir on the new pump. Also, since your signature indicates that you have a 1980 Vette, that is the car for which you purchased the power steering pump.

Given the above, you have received the new pump and are now supposed to remove the reservoir from the old pump and install it on the new pump. You are correct, two of the o-rings are most likely for the studs. They should fit in grooves cut in the back of the pump housing. The studs should press on the reservoir and trap the rings in the grooves.

Please go to this websight: http://www.corvettefaq.com/redir.asp?site=422 and download the picture.

If you look at the picture A 2nd Design. You will see that there is a sealing ring right under the hex head of the discharge fitting. (The left arrow points to it.) Possibly the third sealing ring is to be placed in the groove in the pump housing and trapped by the reservoir when the discharge fitting is screwed in place (similar to the stud seals).

If you look at picture B. You will see the reservoir o-ring. I am surprised that your new pump didn't include this o-ring (unless it is already installed in the groove on the outside of the pump). The o-ring is available from GM dealers as part number 5688015.

Two further tips. You know that you have to use the special tool to draw the pulley onto the pump driveshaft. NEVER try and press the pulley directly onto the pump driveshaft - you will break parts inside the pump! You must use the tool that threads into the end of the driveshaft and draws the pulley onto the shaft.

Lastly, I strongly recommend refilling your power steering system with genuine GM power steering fluid. The amber colored fluid, available from any GM dealer was specifically formulated to work in the Saginaw power steering pump.

Hope this helps.

Jim Shea
Old 09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump (Jim Shea)

Sorry for not providing more info. I received both the reservoir and rebuilt pump fully assembled with exception of the two rear studs, the pulley and the cap which I transferred from the old pump. The rebuilt pump came with a bolt/nut/washer for pressing the pulley on. I used a pulley puller to remove from the old pump.

From your descriptions, I am more confident that I have properly installed the three rubber seals. Thanks for the input.

:seeya
Old 09-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Where I am confused is that if the reservoir is already on the new pump, the stud seals are already in place inside the pump (between the reservoir and the pump casting). You can add or remove the studs without disturbing the seals.

Jim

Old 09-23-2003, 09:10 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The rebuilt pump came without the two studs/o-rings installed. I had to use the two o-rings (included in a small plastic bag) that came with the rebuilt pump when I transferred my two studs from my old pump. The pump/reserv. were assembled and the two rear holes in the reserv. were aligned with the pump threaded holes.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You had to remove the reservoir to install the o-rings. The studs should press directly on the metal reservoir. The o-rings are behind the reservoir metal and the pump casting. You don't just place the o-rings directly under the studs.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:36 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

ok. Thx for the advice.

I'll ask VB&P about the o-rings that were sent with the pump; ie. if I should just install them on the two studs as I have done OR leave them out entirely and assume the o-rings were installed when the pump and reservoir were assembled as a unit.

[Modified by TedH, 2:44 PM 9/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump

Quick Reply: O-Ring Seals Received with Rebuilt Power Steering Pump