C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual tranny swap compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
marcus.md
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual tranny swap compatibility question

I found a 5spd tranny out of a '92 v6 camaro. would that be an acceptable/easy/beneficial swap for the 4spd in my '76 vette? any comments/help is appreciated. thanks!
Marcus
Old 09-23-2003, 10:00 AM
marcus.md
Navigator

Default Re: manual tranny swap compatibility question (marcus.md)

if anyone could also offer some insight on thsi Ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33733
thank you.
Marcus
Old 09-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on 'T5' and you find mucho info on it. That one is not a good candidate for a swap because it is a week version the T5. The one you want is a World Class T5 out of a V8 F-body.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:09 AM
marcus.md
Navigator

also input on this 5spd... as far as a bolt-on swap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2434003771
Old 09-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Fevre
Race Director

That is a better trans to put behind a V8. I have one sitting on my work bench to install either this winter or next.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:57 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

From everything I have read it's not an easy thing to do. The shifter does not end up in the correct spot and you can not use the old clutch and bell housing. Here is a site that builds them for your car. Not cheap but looks like a good way to go. http://www.keislerauto.com/ I think there is a write up in this months Corvette Fever.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: manual tranny swap compatibility question (Chucks87)

From everything I have read it's not an easy thing to do. The shifter does not end up in the correct spot and you can not use the old clutch and bell housing. Here is a site that builds them for your car. Not cheap but looks like a good way to go. http://www.keislerauto.com/ I think there is a write up in this months Corvette Fever.
That is incorrect, the bellhousing bolts right up but the trans mount is rotated about 15 degrees so you need a custom trans mount bracket to bolt to the cross member. To gain clearence the F-body trans was roated about 15 degrees but when you bolt the stock vette bellhousing to it it is straight up but the trans mount is rotated that 15 degrees toward the drivers's side. The w/c t5 also has 26 splines so I can use my centerforce clutch. I tried to see if I could install it using the f-body belhousing but ran into clearence issue so I will using the stock vette bellhousing. The shifter can be made to come up in the stock location with fabbing but you still have to cut the trans tunnel. I agree it is not a simple bolt in but the total cost is still much less that the Keisler unit so if cost is no issue then that would be the way to go.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:02 AM
glenns75vette
Intermediate

I just finished the same swap. You have to find a tranny from a v8. You can use a stock bellhousing clutch linkage etc. I cut the stock trans support that mounts to the crossmember from a standard or turbo 350 .You can use the T5 rubber mount and cut a pocket to fit the 18 degree difference .You need to shorten the driveshaft 1 1/2 ". I found that there was a perfect mount on the T5 to attach the pully for the emergency brake !. You can use the camaro shifter bottom and weld the stock corvette shifter for the stock look.

I know my explination sucks , but I will post pics asap.
the tranny works great ,well worth the effort !.
look on 5 speeds .com :seeya :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To manual tranny swap compatibility question

Quick Reply: manual tranny swap compatibility question