C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 07:48 AM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up?

I want to order a MSD Tach Drive Dist and 6AL box for my 454. Once intalled is it hard to tune or is it pretty much time it and go. I dont have experiance with MSD products so any suggestions would be great !!! Also where is the best place to mount the 6AL unit

thanks in advance :hurray:

[Modified by conway62, 12:49 PM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-23-2003, 08:45 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (conway62)

As long as you wire it up according to the instructions. You just set your timing and go.
I did mine at the begining of this year and have had no problems or complaints. Much improved starts.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (BLT-71)

As long as you wire it up according to the instructions. You just set your timing and go.
I did mine at the begining of this year and have had no problems or complaints. Much improved starts.
:iagree:

My vette with the MSD dist and 6A box starts better than my EFI Formula.

[Modified by Fevre, 8:14 AM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-23-2003, 09:28 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (BLT-71)

I don't have it for the improved starts.. because I had already a 50000 Volt HEI :D... I have it for the rev limiter...
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 AM
conway62
Pro

I currently have Accel 8.8 wires for points ignition and would like to keep them. Is the MSD Tach Drive Dist available with a cap for non HEI wires?
:hurray:
Old 09-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Fevre
Race Director

The MSD vette dist comes a points style cap. If you do order the vette dist make sure you find the tach adaptor in the box, it is about 1 1/2" long brass thing that fits into the tach slot in the dist. Mine was missing and had to have them send me one. If you leave it out the tach will not work.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (Fevre)

Actually MSD has changed it the vette tach drive distributor comes with a points size cap for HEI style wires. I just bought mine about 2 months ago and that is what it came with. I think you can order a points style cap and wire setup from them or you could just get a points style cap from the local autoparts store. I believe MSD uses a standard cap size.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (Sigforty)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just ordered everything from Summit. Shoud be able to install it over the weekend. Any suggestions where to mount the 6AL ignition? I want to make sure to shield it enough so it does not inerfere with the radio / cd. I did order the filter they suggested. My engine compartment is quite full since it is a BB with A/C.
Where do most people mount the unit? :hurray:
Old 09-23-2003, 01:08 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

i mounted my box behind the passanger dash panel...just hides it and keeps it away from most heat. interferes with speakers in the dash, so those had to come out. other than that..works great!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:23 PM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (Redshark6974)

I have a Mallory Unilite, Pro coil, mounted my Mallory VIIa CD to the passenger wheelwell, close to the vent fins..this way air is always being drawn over it. I've have mine on for 3 months, and no problems. I also run the Accell 8.8 wires... good choice for hi-capacity systems!
:cheers:
Old 09-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I mounted the 6AL box on the left fenderwell on the bracket that used to hold the windshield washer bottle. I made an aluminum plate to adapt it. Of course if you want to still use your windshield washers. . . . .

Good point by Fevre to remember the brass tach adapter. It is hardly mentioned in the instructions. I never figured out why my tach didn't work until somebody (probably Fevre) mentioned it on the forum. :bb
Old 09-23-2003, 01:29 PM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (Kid Vette)

Does anyone have any pics of their setup?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Here are some pics:

http://65.113.119.28:7001/zerothread?id=596490

Unit was already installed using a fabbed alum bracket that you can see the upper attachment bolts but it also bolts to the fender well.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:48 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Not bad. Just follow instructions and verify correct application (distributor). I did find the purple wire to my MSD distributor changed colors at the connector. MSD says don’t connect red power lead to the alternator and there really isn’t any need with the hot junction terminal on driver side fender-well. I did install a diode on the alternator brown wire as instructed (I think its to prevent S/D dieseling) and used a lot of heat shrink to give the small diode wire strength/support.
I really like the option to use the white wire for a hidden kill/anti-theft switch.
You can get a full instruction book covering all applications from MSD (got mine from local MSD dealer at car show)
You can buy a MSD tach drive adapter #MSD8491 from Scroggin Dickey at sdpc2000.com for $10.
I mounted my box in the people compartment but I really like the idea I saw someone mount behind the firewall in wiper well between the wiper arms/linkage. Stays cool there and protected from weather by hood.
:thumbs:
Old 09-24-2003, 12:28 AM
The Dude
Race Director

I put mine on the inside of the passenger's side wheel well. (If you look into the gill vent from the back you can see it.) That worked out well for me because it's well-ventilated and because I hose to draw 12V from, and make the ground connection to, the starter. That's about the next best thing to a direct battery connection, which is what you'll find the installation instructions will recommend.

If you have a street-driven car, though, you might want to move the box up out of the way of splashed water, etc.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:20 AM
conway62
Pro

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for everyone who chimed in on this post. Yesterday, I installed a 6AL unit with power filter behind the wheel well on the passanger side. Fits nicely and is completly hidden. Also installed the MSD vette tach drive distributer and blaster 2 coil. Really nice setup. I preset the stop bushing, springs and tach adapter and dropped it in. The only problem is if you are using a standard points styld cap, you have to rotate it so the window is facing the rear of the car. once you do that, you have to move all of the spark plug wires. Once I finished everything, the car started right up, I set the initial to 10 degrees and that was it. The car runs awesome. It is a new rebuilt 454. The ignition upgrade made a huge difference in performance from a points dist. (sorry Lars). I would never go back....

Thanks again to everyone... :hurray:
Old 09-27-2003, 11:30 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I have the 6AL and Blaster coil, only thing that I added was the MSD RFI unit - it stopped all my radio noise, which was so bad that I couldn't even turn it on once I started the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up?

Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (gdh)

I also added the MSD noise filter. I mounted it right below the 6AL unit behind the RH wheel well. Took all the noise out......
Old 09-28-2003, 05:18 AM
rainman69
Drifting

One thing: Verify you all (everyone using the MSD) have a good ground. A mediocre ground will KILL your MSD box deader'n a doornail. I grounded mine to where the starter grounds on the frame.

Keep on :cheers:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:38 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up? (rainman69)

One thing: Verify you all (everyone using the MSD) have a good ground. A mediocre ground will KILL your MSD box deader'n a doornail. I grounded mine to where the starter grounds on the frame.

Keep on :cheers:
I wired mine directly to the battery as the directions say. It did help that I had the engine/tranny out at the time and ran the wires with the battery starter lead through the tranny tunnel.

Quick Reply: MSD SYSTEM, How hard to set up?