C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holl Ferious Oxide!! New Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 04:24 AM
blackbirdpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holl Ferious Oxide!! New Tank?

I pulled the tank on the '69 to clean it out, replace seal and sock. Took a good look inside with a flashlight! Rusty!. Dont see any holes. Is it worth the effort ($) to clean this up of am I better off just buying a new on? What the best process to clean this up?

oh and, there was no tank sticker. Was some one already there, did it detiorate or is there some place else the broadcast sheet might be?
Marco
Old 09-23-2003, 11:34 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Holl Ferious Oxide!! New Tank? (blackbirdpilot)

I know there are kits out there to clean the rust out and coat the inside of fuel tanks. This would be a budget alternative to total replacement.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

new tanks are relatively affordable, thats what i would do.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You can go to Eastwood's website and buy a Tank repair kit, that is basically rust proofing and sealer. http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...65+Z&Dep_Key1=
But you are just postponing a problem, your best bet would be to get a new tank from Quanta products. They have the cheapest prices on tanks,
http://www.quantaproducts.com/store/...ts.asp?dept=19
It looks like $198.00 is the current price for an exact replacement.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The build sheet could be just about anywhere on or in the car. Door panels, behind the center console, tucked in between the tach and speedometer, several people have found theirs tucked in the rear end support. But after 30+ years, don't get your hopes up of finding it. I looked all over my 69 and it was no where to be found. Then I happened to look throught he mass of documentation and service records that came with my car and found it. One of the previous owners had replaced the tank and saved the scraps of the build sheet and Xeroxed them. It was almost impossible to read anything.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 AM
blackbirdpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Holly Ferious Oxide!! New Tank? (blackbirdpilot)

Whats the difference between an early 69 Gas tank and a late? Mine has a vapor return line on the right side.

:confused:
Old 09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Holly Ferious Oxide!! New Tank? (blackbirdpilot)

Original Rochester carb equipped 69's used the vapor return line, whereas original Holley carb (3x2) equipped 69's did not. Original 3x2 Holley equipped cars didn't even have the vapor return line along the frame rail.

There might be other differences. Personally, I wouldn't mess with a rusty tank. Call Quanta and get a new exact repro. Their people can aid you in getting the proper tank.

Quick story....when I was restoring my 54, I had some rust in the tank. Took it to a radiator shop and had it boiled out. Used some sealer inside. Put the tank back in the car. Put about 10 gallons of gas in it.

Came home one day to the strong smell of gasoline in my house....not the garage. Opened the garage door and found all 10 gallons on the floor. The fumes were incredible. ONE spark would have blown things up. Quickly got a hose...carefully opened the garage door and hosed the gasoline out.

I was lucky. I'd NEVER mess with a rusty tank. When I took it out, and held it to the light, the bottom of the tank looked like a salt shaker.....LOTS of pinholes. The sealer isn't worth crap. :) Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Holl Ferious Oxide!! New Tank?

Quick Reply: Holl Ferious Oxide!! New Tank?