C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, figuring how many amps needed..

Old 09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP, figuring how many amps needed..

I have run into the problem with basically no place to place a standard size amp. I found that I may be able to fit a Ultra mini alternator down on the passenger side "by the fuel pump provision." however these alt's only give me about 55 amps." I need to run a ECU, fuel pump, 300W stereo system, and headlights, interior lights etc etc. How would I figure what I need to keep this puppy powered?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: HELP, figuring how many amps needed.. (WashingtonRacer)

I have run into the problem with basically no place to place a standard size amp. I found that I may be able to fit a Ultra mini alternator down on the passenger side "by the fuel pump provision." however these alt's only give me about 55 amps." I need to run a ECU, fuel pump, 300W stereo system, and headlights, interior lights etc etc. How would I figure what I need to keep this puppy powered?
I think you are talking about where to mount an alternator.
What accessories are on the engine now (A/C, smog pump, power steering)?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:37 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: HELP, figuring how many amps needed.. (BSeery)

You shouldn't have a problem mounting an alt, even with a bunch of accessories (unless you have pair of big turbos in the way). Do you have an engine pic so we can have a look?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:37 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: HELP, figuring how many amps needed.. (BSeery)

I think you are talking about where to mount an alternator.
What accessories are on the engine now (A/C, smog pump, power steering)?
:withstupid: Why no space? Not knowing the specifics of your car and your driving patterns I'd have to say offhand that 55 may not cut it. :leaving:
Old 09-22-2003, 03:39 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

What all is are aftermarket items? The stereo amp is going to pull a good bit at high volume. I would need to know all of the spec of the after market stuff to be able "run the numbers" for total wattage used my the car to be able to determine the amps needed. You also have to think how much is needed to trickle charge your battery while driving.
If you will let me know what all have added to the car, I may be able to come up a close figure for you, but right off the top of my head I would say 60 to 70 amps would be about what you need. 55 may get you by, but you may lose the recitfer circuit in the alternator on a regulator since it will be pulling max current though it.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:05 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: HELP, figuring how many amps needed.. (RLaFarge)

I do infact have 2 big turbos sitting in front of the block, I will be happy to take a picture now, since the engine is actually almost completly together now. But in a sense the turbos are just a tad too close to fit an alternator in front of the head. the only other belt drivin accessory I would have would be Power Steering. I have yet to actually get a mini alt to ensure that even that would fit, but I do recall a while ago Procharger having a bracket that reverses the mounting of the alternato If I could do that, I could get a nice big one and mount it in several areas closer to the crank. I am just curious if there are any other options out there.

I actually do not have any specific stereo equip in mind, I may even go to base simulators and just a 45x4 standard head unit. My goal is to have a good show car and Amazing performance car all in one. As a result, it won't be the best of either, but defninitly more than just a suprise.

The Ecu is a F.A.S.T. system. with WB and all that jazz.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:14 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

Hmmm, sounds like you have dumped some serious money in the motor.
I know that a 100 amp alternator is needed when using an electic fan setup.
Since you are wanting a good show car and somthing that performs as well, I would see if there was some way to put on a 100 amp alternator. I have a feeling that you are going to need it. I am wondering how much more of a load the ignition system is going put on the alternator, I imagine the coils are a little hotter that what was stock.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: HELP, figuring how many amps needed.. (RLaFarge)

That is true as well. I am running dual electric fans, and planning on a MSD digital 8, or even going the route Monty went and go DIST less. We'll see. I guess my biggie question is, what do I look at in determining how many amps it would take up? then how do I sum it all together.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Garrett1972
Advanced

You can use some very simple formulas to figure this out.
Current in amps (I) is equal to power in watts (P) divided by voltage (v), 12 in this case. The formula can be flipped several ways.
I=P/v
P=I*v
v=P/I
All of the accessories on you car that you want to run will have a listing some where on the part telling you how much power the part needs to run, either in watts or amps. just convert everything to amps, then add them up.
I think you are going to find that with electric fans, electronic ignition, and a 300-Watt stereo, you are going to need 70 amps or more.
Hope this helps :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To HELP, figuring how many amps needed..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP, figuring how many amps needed..