C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing strut rods on 72 vert

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 03:10 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help removing strut rods on 72 vert

I have what looks to be the original (now bent up from alignment) strut rods and I am trying to remove them to replace the with these nice new adjustable ones... however I can't get them out!

I got the castle nuts off on the trailing arms (so I assume I can remove the strut and just get the side apart.

The real problem is by the differential. I am able to get the 3/4" bolts/nuts to pivot a little (maybe 1/4 a turn) but getting the darn thing apart is not happening (rust welded it looks like).

Should I just sawzall them out of there? or is there a trick to breaking them loose? (have been soaking them in penetrating oil for a couple days now).

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help removing strut rods on 72 vert (goofygrin)

Heat and penetrant are your friends. If you can't get them off after using the torch, you can cut them out if you're careful not to damage teh bracket on the bottom of the differential. Usually it's the trailing arm side that gives the most grief with the shock mount being rusted into the spindle support.

Now, for even more depressing news: If the original rods were bent in order to get the rear aligned, it's likely that there are other problems lurking in the rear suspension. You could get lucky, and it only be worn out bushings in the strut rods, but odds are that all the rest of the bushings are shot too including the trailing arm bushings. Another contributing factor to excessive negative camber in the rear suspension is worn side yokes in the differential. You should thoroughly check out the entire rear suspension "while you're at it". Installing adjustable strut rods may only be a cheap workaround to mask some serious problems that need to be addressed.

Shannon
Old 09-22-2003, 05:16 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Help removing strut rods on 72 vert (sb69coupe)

My left strut rod was almost completely free to move, but the nut was rust-welded like yours, so my left rear wheel sat top-in at about 10 or more degrees!!! :eek: Fixed it this weekend, but after alot of soaking and back injuries, decided to go with a nut cracker. Managed to not damage the threads, just chopped the nut in 2. I realize you don't need to save the adjustment cam because you are replacing the whole thing, but if you don't want to risk hurting the bracket, it's not a bad option. (Unfortunately, unlike the saw the nutcracker isn't powered, so it still requires a bit of force, but it does get it done!)

-Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 06:09 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Now, for even more depressing news: If the original rods were bent in order to get the rear aligned, it's likely that there are other problems lurking in the rear suspension.
Shannon
Shannon, a lot of the times these were bent because people didn't know how to work the cams, so they just bubba'ed the alignment. However there might be some other damage there (the strut rod bushings are pretty much non existant. The TA bushings "look" ok, but who knows.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help removing strut rods on 72 vert (goofygrin)

[QUOTE The TA bushings "look" ok, but who knows.[/QUOTE]

:confused: I thought you still had the trailing arms in the car? How can you see the trailing arm bushings? Or are you talking about the rear spring end link bushings?

Bubba sometimes may have bent the strut rods to align the car without knowing how to work the cams. But every case of this that I have seen where the strut rods were bent, there were bigger problems in the rear suspension that prevented the camber from coming into adjustment within the cam adjustment range. In the case of my car, it was the rear yokes and all the bushings that were totally shot.

Shannon
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE The TA bushings "look" ok, but who knows.

:confused: I thought you still had the trailing arms in the car? How can you see the trailing arm bushings? Or are you talking about the rear spring end link bushings?

Bubba sometimes may have bent the strut rods to align the car without knowing how to work the cams. But every case of this that I have seen where the strut rods were bent, there were bigger problems in the rear suspension that prevented the camber from coming into adjustment within the cam adjustment range. In the case of my car, it was the rear yokes and all the bushings that were totally shot.

Shannon
they are still in there. I bet they are near the end of their life but I dont have the $$ to replace em now.

I'll check the yokes while I'm in there though :cry :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Help removing strut rods on 72 vert

Quick Reply: Help removing strut rods on 72 vert