C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a quote for paint...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
blue72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got a quote for paint...

I just got a quote for paint from Brian at Pro Street Performance in Glenwood, CO... $3500 including the body work it needs (some stress cracks, a chunk off of the front valance panel where it looks like a previous owner went curb hopping, minor body dings...). Brian was really cool and came by my house on a saturday morning to look at it since I couldn't drive it to the shop. He was very enthusiastic about painting the vette, too, saying he loved painting these cars because he could get everything perfect and sharp.... That's the attitude I like! he'll even come by with a trailer to pick it up from my house!
So what do you think? I thought it sounded like a really good deal considering the work that goes into paint on one of these cars.
I also mentioned I'm thinking about flaring the rear fenders to make room for some larger tires. He said it'd be 15 hours minimum to do it the way I want... I'm not a big fan of the ZL-1/L-88 flares that are out there.... I would prefer to keep the body lines of original... just slightly wider. So we talked about cutting out the wheel opening/lip and blocking it out 2 inches or so and glassing them in to retain the concave curve of the stock flare. That translates to about $900 minimum to do the flares... Something to think about. I'm trying to gauge how hard I'll kick myself if I cheap out and decide I want them later.
-Jason
Old 09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (blue72)

If that includes disassembly and reassembly, that is really CHEAP
Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 PM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (Chris@VetteFinders)

I forgot to mention that I've already removed the bumpers and emblems and will be putting them back on myself. He will be lining up the door seams and then removing the doors for paint. The interior is out and new weatherstripping will be installed. I have also already done a bit of sanding on the body and have smoothed out quite a bit of ripple. The old paint was faded and chipped, but is adhering very well with no signs of pealing anywhere. I'm not sure if he'll be stripping it all the way down or not, but I'm not opposed to him painting over the existing paint.
-Jason
Old 09-22-2003, 02:29 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if he'll be stripping it all the way down or not, but I'm not opposed to him painting over the existing paint.
-Jason
Before you get started I suggest you get in writing exactly what is going to be done for that $3500. I'm not suggesting that the guy will rip you off, but it just makes good sense from both perspectives to know exactly what is expected of each other.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What size rubber were you thinking?? I just installed 275-60-15's on my stock rally rims (255-60-15's on front) by relocating the parking brake cable. They look great!! Easy to do. I think you'll find the stock trailing arm is the problem for anything wider on stock rims. Flares might be a waist unless your planning on offset wheels.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (6t9l4t6)

Before you get started I suggest you get in writing exactly what is going to be done for that $3500. I'm not suggesting that the guy will rip you off, but it just makes good sense from both perspectives to know exactly what is expected of each other.
I can't agree more. Get this information from him for your protection. Will he color sand and buff the paint for this price as well?

$3500 for a first class paint job with body work and buffing sounds like a great deal to me. I would consider having your paint guy also reassemble because it would be tragic for him to shoot a flawless car and you slip and scratch the paint installing a bumper.

Hope it comes out great!

Cheers :cheers:

Stephen
Old 09-22-2003, 03:38 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (VolVette)

Hope it comes out great!

Cheers :cheers:

Stephen
And post some pictures if you can.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:27 PM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint...

Thanks for all the input guys! I will definitely get a written quote before he takes delivery of the car. We all know how hidden things can drive up the cost of a job, but a written quote at least sets a reasonable baseline and ensures that he has to account for any extra charges.

What size rubber were you thinking?? I just installed 275-60-15's on my stock rally rims (255-60-15's on front) by relocating the parking brake cable. They look great!! Easy to do. I think you'll find the stock trailing arm is the problem for anything wider on stock rims. Flares might be a waist unless your planning on offset wheels.
I would like to fit 285's or 295's on 18 inch rims back there. I know I could probably fit 285's under the stock fender with offset trailing arm (which I have), but I'm also thinking of flares for asthetic reasons. I think just a 1.5" flare would even out the front to rear look of the car and accentuate the curvy lines we all love about our cars.

-Jason
Old 09-22-2003, 04:30 PM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (6t9l4t6)

And post some pictures if you can.
Have no fear! Once this thing is done and on the road you all will be begging me to shut up about it. I know my friends will :D
The part I'm really going to want to show off I haven't even started... The interior is what I'm looking forward to doing myself and I'm planning on a complete custom interior including custom dash, seats, console, etc... Stay tuned!
-Jason

[Modified by blue72, 2:31 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 04:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (Chris@VetteFinders)

If that includes disassembly and reassembly, that is really CHEAP
:withstupid:
Old 09-22-2003, 05:07 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you flare the rear quaters, you severely risk devalueing your car. Why not do a trial fit before any work is started and install the offset trailing arms and the rims of your choice....you will be able to see if flares are necessary or not.

[Modified by GDaina, 5:08 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (GDaina)

:iagree: Excellent idea.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:47 PM
blue72
Instructor

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (GDaina)

If you flare the rear quaters, you severely risk devalueing your car.
I agree that flaring the panels may devalue my car, but I'm not doing all of this work for the next owner. I'm building my vette to be the car I want. I don't ever plan on selling my vette. I still haven't decided on doing the flares or not, but originality and resale value aren't really of any concern to me. In the decision making process, the shop doing the paint will work with me in test fitting wheels and tires to get an idea of look and fit. I will say I'm heavily leaning towards going with the flares, though... :)
-Jason
Old 09-22-2003, 06:49 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That is a good price. I expect to pay in the $6K range next summer. :skep:
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (OHSIXX)

$3500 is very cheap. Make sure you get quality paint put on there. I don't care how well the old paint is adhering I think it is a mistake to paint over old paint. Take the extra time or money to strip off all the old paint and then prep the body right. Painting is the easy part, prep is the most important and the hardest.

A paint job even with the best of materials and application techniques is only as good as the surface it covers. Even a MAACO paint job can look good if the surface is prepped right. Surface prep, surface prep, surface prep.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

does this guy have a reputation in painting vettes...its definitely an art compared to stee body cars...with fiberglass, you have the seams to deal with, and making sure you don't flatten out of the curves...i'd make sure, because blocking a vette takes experience if you want to get it to look smooth and right.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (Redshark6974)

Mine was $8,000.00 last fall with one rear fender replaced, and no other damage. Your getting a bargin, I just hope his work is better than his price.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:03 AM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: Just got a quote for paint... (Desertdawg)

That is a reasonable price. I paid a little less, but ran into many problems with the shop. Do your homework first. Do a BBB check, look at his work, etc.

And like someone previously mentioned, get everything in writing. If he sais he will warranty his work for x years, his word is worthless unless it is in writing.

The shop that painted my 80 told me they would strip the car to bare fiberglass, and warranty all work and paint for life. I took the guy at his word, only to find out later that neither statement was true. Lesson learned.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got a quote for paint...

Quick Reply: Just got a quote for paint...