C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Smog rules in North-East

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:32 AM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Smog rules in North-East

We are considering a move to NY, PA or NJ in the next year or two. What are the smog requirements on an '81 (or any year) in each of these states? I would love to build a proper engine for my '81, but here in Kalifornia you can not do that.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:05 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (gerry c)

The rules vary in New York depending on where you live. No emissions are needed for cars 25 years and older, an 81 would need to pass emissions. Check out this link for more info http://nysdmv.com/vehsafe.htm#einspect
Old 09-22-2003, 12:20 PM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (kaz1961)

Thanks for the link. A move would definately be to an "upstate" area. It looks like only a visual is needed (besides gas cap). Does that mean as long as I keep my smog pump and put the stock carb back on for inspection I could do most anything else (internal to the engine at least)? That leaves a lot open for playing with.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (gerry c)

Here in PA, you will have to be smog checked if you live anywhere near Philadelphia or Pittsburg. Anywhere else there is no smog check. Also if you drive less than 5000 miles a year you don't get a snog check. Now if you register your car as a 'Classic' you don't get a smog check and if it's registered as an 'antique' you don't to have it safety inspected or smog checked. I have my car registered as a classic so all I have is the yearly safety inspection. Of all the states, I believe Pennsylvania is the most understanding when it comes to classic cars and the such. They don't try to crush you under a ton of smog laws and that crap. Our Ex-gov, Tom Ridge knew how car collector take care of their cars and enacted laws that reflect that care. :yesnod:
Old 09-22-2003, 04:46 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (killain)

Our "beloved" exgov had nothing to do with the steps taken to get a friendly emmisions program . There was a very strong grass roots movement to stop the adoption of envirotech as our state testing agent . Try asking some of the folks in NJ how they like their involvement with them . It was our "beloved" exgov that tried to shove that program down the pennsylvania residents throats . Your thanks need to go to the various inspection station mechanics and the politically aware that keep an eye on Harrisburgh . That is why we folks in PA can cruise easy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

gman :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 PM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (ram82fire)

Our "beloved" exgov had nothing to do with the steps taken to get a friendly emmisions program
Actually, Ridge DID have a lot to do with PA having a second chance to come up with its own emissions program. It was the Ridge administration that came up with the classic friendly emissions testing. Thanks to Slick ***** Clinton signing certain EPA laws into effect, Colorado was forced into a centralized testing system. Pennsylvania, Tom Ridge, and special interest groups like AAA stood up and said "no" to the Feds and the tree hugging greenpeace liberals. In turn, 8 environmental groups sued the DEP and PA(1995). Ridge came up with a plan and here we are. If you want more info on PA's emissions testing, look here:
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us

Old 09-23-2003, 08:16 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (tersian)

The grass roots movement was started in the Phila area by a talk radio host by the name of Irv Homer . After repeated calls by local inspestion station owners a petition drive was started by the radio station . Needless to say it simply snowballed in size to the point that Harrisburg realized it would be politically smart to listen to taxpayers . It certainly was not any brilliant idea from Ridge or anybody else . The emission standards are the same as required by the feds. The removal of envirotest as the testing agent was the goal of the movement . I was one of the first seven training officers to be certified in Pa to teach the emissions program . This was one of the requirements to bring the state into compliance to continue to receive fed highway funds . To this day I continue to hold my original license . Smog testing is spreading throughout the state and will be heading in your direction also . The new testing will be quite a bit more advanced for the new cars , sux but that is where we are these days,,,,,,,,,,

We are just fortunate that there were laws already on the books of the motor vehicle code to allow the residents of our state to enjoy their hobby . As far as some politician having any understanding of our needs , nah I don't think soooooooooooo

geo
Old 09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
tersian
Pro

Irv Homer may have lectured about it on his radio show, but the main plaintiffs were: Delaware Valley Citizens' Council for Clean Air and Bicycle Coalition of the Delaware Valley, Clean Water Action, Group Against Smog and Pollution, New Jersey Public Interest Research Group, Pennsylvania Environmental Network, Pennsylvania Public Interest Research Group, Quaker City Wheelmen and South Philadelphia Environmental Action Coalition, as well as two individuals. (Source: Sharon Voas, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 5/2/95)

Most of them don't look too grass roots to me, most of them look like corporate and liberal lobbying groups. As far as Ridge is concerned, I guess we'll just disagree there. I know one thing, "Cheesesteak" Charlie Rendell has no idea about car enthusiasts and the only way he would be affected would be if his limo wouldn't pass inspections and he couldn't use it to go downtown Harrisburg to get his daily intake of hotdogs and grease. Pennsylvania is getting what it deserves since it elected this ineffective anti-labor moron of a governor.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:05 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (tersian)

I agree with you about Rendell , unfortunately politicians on both sides of the aisle in reality look at one thing ,,,,,,,,,,, will this get me a lot of votes . I feel you and I are talking about two different subjects . I was talking about envirotech and the problems that we would have encountered if they got the contract to do the testing in our state . There are some real horror stories out there to be told by members that have testing done by them .

The grassroots movement was against centralization and was driven by AAA and other autoclubs of PA .

geo

[Modified by ram82fire, 12:57 PM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank God (or whoever) for PA Classic/Antique plates!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: OT - Smog rules in North-East (glen242)

Wow - this thread took a sharp turn fast.
New Hampshire is friendly enough to not require emissions testing at all.
When the Feds tried to force centralized inspections - our Gov flipped the
bird and told 'em to screw. No emissions since.
We do - however - have a relatively strict safety inspection. Brakes are
dissasembled and inspected, NO rust through allowed, and you are not
supposed to vary from OEM configurations. For classic cars, much more
freedom and leniency is offered.

One inspection day - the guy walks out tpward the 'vette and says he wants to
show me one thing. He points to my #4 body mount - TOTALLY MISSING.
Then, I notice the new inspection sticker on the windshield.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Smog rules in North-East

Quick Reply: OT - Smog rules in North-East