C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fast idle and hot box under hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
cell2each
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast idle and hot box under hood

When first starting car it idles high for first three or 4 minutes is this normal?
also in pic is this the fast idle screw if I need to adjust it?
Also the metal box with arrow pointing to it is warm to touch all the time even when car has been sitting is this normal? thanks for all your help.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:07 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: fast idle and hot box under hood (cell2each)

Hey Cell: High idle is normal for cold engine. Screw shown appears to be idle mixture screw and not the one you should normally use to reduce the RPM's of your motor at idle. Look for another screw close very close to where you linkage attaches to the carb. Someone else help us out on what the "box" is. Appears to me to be a relay or generator voltage regulator. In any event, I think warm to touch would be normal but not if the car had been parked for several hours. Knowing the year of your car will help.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: fast idle and hot box under hood (marshrat99)

From the angle I am viewing it looks like the fan relay switch mounted on the AC evaporator box. Yes, it will be hot after running the engine as it has a metal cover and picks up under the hood heat.

Fast Idle screw sure looks like it. Only comes into play when the choke is on. How fast is fast when cold starting?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 PM
cell2each
Intermediate

Default Re: fast idle and hot box under hood (bigvette1)

the metal box is warm all the time even after setting overnight not to hot to touch but it is warm. I have a tach filter on order as tach does not work I would say the fast idle is fine but it seems to stay on fast idle for to long if I shift into gear the car really hugs to the ground. Once it goes off of fast idle its idles great. the car is a '76 auto
Old 09-22-2003, 12:46 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: fast idle and hot box under hood (cell2each)

When cold teh choke will close adn run in a rich condition (higher idle) to warm the engine to operating temps. After 90 seconds to 2 minutes the choke should be fully open (depending on temps and choke type). By engaging the throttle you'll move the fast idle cam on the carb and set it to the proper step for driving. It sounds like you are just putting it into gear while still on warm up.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:56 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: fast idle and hot box under hood (SnoDrgn)

Take the mounting screws out of the metal box and inspect the connections underneath really close for a possible short. BTW does the fan run on all positions?

Get notified of new replies

To fast idle and hot box under hood

Quick Reply: fast idle and hot box under hood