C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on what way to go on building engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Ebbsvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on what way to go on building engine

Ok, i was thinking of making my 350 a 383 stroker. This car is going to mainly be used as a show car and will also be street driven, strip acouple times. I was gonna go with eagle 400 forge crank and rods. But is this the right way to go? what are some other ways to turn some good hp/tq? engine is a 2001 Crate HO Deluxe. 4.11 gears and a built t350 tranny
Old 09-21-2003, 08:28 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Need advice on what way to go on building engine (Ebbsvette)

I've seen plenty of "show cars" with every chrome dudad known to man bolted on that still had stock 350 innards.They looked nice,cleaner than mine for sure,and I'd be proud to show it if it were mine.But if I were to race it,it would be no contest.
The point is what kind of car you build,is what kind of car you want.You can't see a forged crank once it's in the engine,and they sure are expensive.But you can see a tunnel ram,and chrome plated carbs,which are also expensive.
What matters the most to you. It's your car. :cheers:
Old 09-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Ebbsvette
Instructor

Default Re: Need advice on what way to go on building engine (The Money Pit)

im not into chrome that much. i am going to powder coat everything yellow and black tho (well everything i can) i want a strong engine with some impressive numbers so i can have it posted. i also want to see if i can get some nice times when i do take it to the strip. And yea, cant see forged this and that, but u can see a impressive dyno sheet and time slip. Thats better than chrome to me
Old 09-21-2003, 08:55 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Check out my website for the 406 buildup article. That should point you in the right direction. :yesnod:
Old 09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen plenty of "show cars" with every chrome dudad known to man bolted on that still had stock 350 innards.They looked nice,cleaner than mine for sure,and I'd be proud to show it if it were mine.But if I were to race it,it would be no contest.
The point is what kind of car you build,is what kind of car you want.You can't see a forged crank once it's in the engine,and they sure are expensive.But you can see a tunnel ram,and chrome plated carbs,which are also expensive.
What matters the most to you. It's your car. :cheers:
:iagree:
Assuming that your 2 year old engine isn't in need of a rebuild, going the stroker route will result in some pretty expensive hp compared to your other options. If the engine did require new pistons and crank, then it would make sense to spend the few extra $$ to stroke it. If bang for the buck is important, a larger cam would be nice. Seeing as the HO engine accepts the OEM roller lifters (which are much less expensive than retrofit rollers) you might want to consider the swap. The ZZ4 cam should be ok with a stock converter but the Hot cam might want a little more stall. Your Vortec heads will require some machining to accommodate their higher lifts. A bigger flat tappet cam would also provide a noticeable power boost and at much lower cost, especially if lift was kept below the limits of your heads.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Ebbsvette
Instructor

Default Re: Need advice on what way to go on building engine (Vetterodder)

yea, you have a point. I was thinkin i could sell some of the parts i take out being they've hardly been used....9kmiles on the engine. And yea i has thinking goin the cam route, and heads. i just want somthing interesting. stroker will be expensive...prolly lookin around 1500 in parts....labor isnt a prob...but yea...any more advice is always welcomed

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on what way to go on building engine

Quick Reply: Need advice on what way to go on building engine