C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building crank case pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Ram Air Formula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building crank case pressure

ok well it seems that my engine is building too much crank case pressure. i have a PCV thats is working on the pass side and a breather on the drivers side. its a fancy little peice that vents out the bottom instead of all around. like a mini air filter. im getting oil leaking out the oil fill cap. only a little and only after driving it for a little while. some times the oil dipstick isnt seated all the way down after a drive either. so i figure im building pressure.

the valve covers are new as is the oil cap. its got a good seal and sits down snuggly too. the engine is a .030 over 350 will edlebrock performer heads and a performer intake. the cam is an elgin comparable to the one edlebrock supplies in its performer package. its nothing radical as i have to operate the headlights.

before i put the breather on the pressure actually built up enough to blow the intake seal on the back side out. now it only leaks out the cap a little after a little while of driving. but it shouldnt be doing this even.

so whats causing this to happen? the engines not that radical to need anything fancy like a vacum pump. and everything runs very well. so what should i be looking at to determine whats causing the pressure build up? thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: building crank case pressure (Ram Air Formula)

Assuming the oil looks OK and there's no evidence of bubbles in the anti freeze,how's the PCV valve hooked up? Can you feel any suction with the PCV valve out of the valve cover with the engine running?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:49 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I was having problems with oil leaking from my breather cap and oil fouling my plugs from oil vapor entering the intake through the PCV. I am currently trying a different approach, but I will wait to see what others suggest.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Ram Air Formula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: building crank case pressure (LAvetteman)

theres no bubbles in the anit freeze and the PCV works. its hooked to the front of the carb which is a brand new edlebrock.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IF you ever find out what causes that, lemme know....

I managed to move my PCV valve input from the air plenum of the TPI to the factory original setup, leading into the floorboard of every individual port of the intake tract in the manifold.....and somehow it's seemed to help in the oiling situation, both on the valve covers, and in the intake tracts...of course...it's downstream now....engine seems to NOT burn oil,....but it used to allways leak out the valve covers both from the PVC valve rubber fitting and the pass side that went to the throttle body before the blades....

to me it should make NO differances at all....but it does, somehow...

I have had engines do this from time to time, and last forever while doing it...seems the only oil losses are from top side leaking....or blowing oil out the breather caps....sometimes in spite of all baffels or attempts to stop it....

other engines don't do it at all, .....can't beleive I have been SO unlucky the majority of my engines have had the problem....rebuilt or factory stock....

wanna see an oiley mess??? look at a Miusubitchy engine with a few miles on it.....you'd think the crank case was sealed with NO breather of any type, as oil comes from every pore in that engine...amazing...

GENE
Old 09-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i got my 67 galaxie in 1985 cheap because it blew out oil and needed a rebuild. i re-routed the breather to draw from inside the air cleaner. (relieves crankcase pressure)
it's been dry ever since.
never rebuilt with 128,000 :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To building crank case pressure

Quick Reply: building crank case pressure