C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:21 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation

Does it damage anything to put a Vette in gear while it is up on jack stands?
While I was searching for a problem in the rear end of my Vette today....I started it while I had it on the jack stands and then I put it in drive and gentlely let out on the brake...........I discovered that the driver's side moved but the passanger's side didn't. The passanger's side is the side I'm hearing and feeling everything.......My guess..........wheel bearing.......I'm I in the right area? :smash:

;-*
Old 09-20-2003, 09:57 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation (79VetteGirl)

I thought all Vettes came with posi rears. If your passenger side did not move it sounds like your posi is out for starters. I would not want to run the wheels while on stands because of the severe angle the half shafts are in while hanging. This could be very hard on the U joints. If you want to check the bearing, try to move the wheel from 3 oclock to 9 oclock and see if you have alot of movement. Craig
Old 09-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation (79VetteGirl)

I ran mine at an idle today while on stands to investigate a rear rotor run out problem. I found my spindle is bent :mad I don't believe running it in gear at an idle for a very short period of time will harm anything. I do believe your clutch pack or gear cluster is out in your rear end however. When I turn one wheel the other wheel also turns in the same direction. You must have some serious problems in the rear end. I know of a good guy in Beloit, Wisconsin for rear ends, e-mail me if you need one and would like to reach him.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

I agree with big fish, sounds like it is internal to the rear end not the wheel bearing but check it while you have it up off the ground. It could be the bad bearing has that side locked up and not allowing it to turn. Check the wheel bearing first and go from there.

:iagree: YBNormal...drive a vette
www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/vette.html
Old 09-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

It's not a good idea to do that.. As others stated. Too much anlge for the "U" joints. Side to side play can be worn side yokes (common problem) There's lots of onfo on that. There should be Almost no in-out movement of the yoke at the differential .
Old 09-21-2003, 08:41 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

I discovered that the driver's side moved but the passanger's side didn't. The passanger's side is the side I'm hearing and feeling everything
I put the wheels back on today and set it on the ground (first time in six weeks) backed it out of the garage (with the right rear still not wanting to move but it finally did) it made a terrible "pop" like something was stuck and finally gave way. It still makes terrible noises while rolling but it did make it to my uncles garage where I can better work on it.....more tools....more knowledge.......Keep your fingers crossed :auto:

;-*
Old 09-21-2003, 08:59 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Rear End (79VetteGirl)

Sounds like an excuse for some 3.70's to me.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear End (The Money Pit)

I don't think this was mentioned before but if the wheel was locked up it could be an e-brake problem. If the e-brake hardware has broken it will let the shoes expand and drag or possibly lock up. I would remove the rotor and check this out first. I didn't realize the wheel was locked up before so your posi may be fine. Good Luck, Craig

[Modified by CF6873, 9:10 PM 9/21/2003]
Old 09-21-2003, 09:12 PM
vincevette
Advanced

sounds like its going back on the stands. And yes it would be a good time for a gear change.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:17 PM
vincevette
Advanced

sounds like its going back on the stands. And yes it would be a good time for a gear change. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation

Quick Reply: Rear End (square wheel) problem.....farther investigation