C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers what brand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 10:17 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Roller rockers what brand?

I have been watching the threads on this topic and looking at prices of various manufacture's. I know that the real benfit of rollers are realized in higher rpm engine's. My BB will live the vast majority of it's life in the sub 6k range. The price of the comp cams and Crane rollers are anywhere from $240-$270. But now I am seeing full rollers by Proform for $169 :eek: For this price I would think you would be crazy to go back with the old stamped slots. :confused: However at this low price what is the quality? What would you guys do. Again keep in mind I have a 2blt block, cast crank, and 3\8 rods.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:26 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Roller rockers what brand? (BlackRat)

I'n not familiar with that brand. I use Harlan Sharp full rollers, got a great deal a few years ago. That's a great price. Do you plan any mods down the road? You will have to trim the corners of two rollers, trim the drippers to clear the polylocks and double gasket if you want to use your stock valve covers.

Triming the corners won't weaken the two rockers.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:34 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Roller rockers what brand? (GDaina)

Probably cheaper for a reason, Harland Sharp have very good aluminum rollers much cheaper than Crane Gold and are very similar. :D
Old 09-20-2003, 10:44 AM
wallyknoch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth the money or problems unless it`s an all out racer. :)
Old 09-20-2003, 11:21 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks guys!

George,
Who gave you the deal on the HS's? These were the ones I was planning on before I saw the Proform's. Also I will be going with the tall after amrket VC's so clearence want be a problem but the brake booster will :mad :smash: I am not sure of the other modifications to the rocker's you are talking about. They aren't designed as a bolt on? As far as future mods, hopefully everything internal will be done at once. If it makes a difference I am going to be running a CC Xtreme solid cam .595 lift.

Thanks
Wade
Old 09-20-2003, 11:29 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition, you will have to replace your rocker studs with longer studs. If the taller covers interfere with the booster, why bother? Stock covers will clear without a problem.

A friend of a friend runs a small parts business out of his home. I paid 170 bucks for the rockers. I think Summit has them in the 190 range.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:30 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:iagree: with GDaina 100%
Old 09-20-2003, 02:49 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a nice lightly used set of full roller rockers with bearing trunnions that I won't be using with my replacement engine. email me at will_shepherd@hotmail.com if interested.

[Modified by flynhi, 7:43 PM 9/20/2003]
Old 09-20-2003, 07:52 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Roller rockers what brand? (flynhi)

I had a set of the entry level Comp Cams Roller tip rockers on a stock BB. After the rebuild and with much stonger springs, I had 2 rockers go bad in the first 100 miles. Saw severe signs of gaulijng on the rest of them. Talked to several pro engine builders and they said the Comp Cam rockers I had can not stand up to higher spring tension than stock. It wears the roller tips and will gaul the ***** quick, causing them to overheat and freeze up.

Use only the all steel Comp Cam roller tips or go with full roller rockers if you want them to live - and save the valve train. Went back to GM performance long slot stamped steel and they are running fine.

[Modified by bigvette1, 6:54 PM 9/20/2003]
Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I put a set of Summit Racing roller rockers in my car 17,000 miles ago and haven't had any problems. It's not like Summit makes these themselves. I don't recall if the Summit guy told me who made them or not, but I want to say they were made by crane or comp or some other name brand company.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:56 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I went from stock stamped rockers to a set of crane roller tipped ones.
Recently, I went to the full steel CC pro-magnums.
Just from the pro-magnum swap alone, I immediately noticed an improvement in performance.
I went with the pro magnums versus another set of aluminum, 'cause I don't trust aluminum rockers with those small diameter shafts.

For reliability and longevity, my machinist recommended a set of those quality stamped rockers ( I don't remember the manufacturer) without the roller tips.
He was saying that unless you plan on tearing down the motor ever year or so,and have the roller rockers refurbished, to stick with the stock style ones.
He also warned that eventually a roller rocker can and will let go and wreak incredible havoc inside your motor.
I went against his advice I got myself the full rocker set anyway...
Old 09-20-2003, 11:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I got Lunati roller rockers on my engine when I bought it...

Get notified of new replies

To Roller rockers what brand?

Quick Reply: Roller rockers what brand?