C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fans versus Stock Fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Ice_Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fans versus Stock Fans

I keep reading comments on electric fans being installed, sizes, single /double, different brands etc...... Mine runs cool at 160 - 170 with the stock fan on hot days. Does it make that much difference on FUEL to switch over to electric ? :skep:
Old 09-20-2003, 03:06 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fans versus Stock Fans (Ice_Fire)

there are trade offs just like anything else. there is probably a modicum of fuel economy gained. however, i doubt it would be enough for you to be able to tell.
on the positive side: you free up rotating mass from the engine. the engine will rev more freely and it will feel more powerful. it's not really more powerful but you will now have ~5-10hp it used to use driving that heavy fan available to turn those heavy wheels.
it will also be quieter under the hood. especially if you have a bad fan clutch that keeps the fan engaged when the temperature is low, and BTW running that cool on a hot day would be an indication the clutch isn't slipping, it will seem so much quieter. all you'll hear is the engine. that's great if the engine sounds great but then you get to hear when things aren't right. not a good thing if your in the 'ignorance is bliss' crowd. if not, you'll want to hear little bad things so you can fix them before they become big, bad things.
you will have SO much more room in front of the engine, you won't even believe it. i mean, you really won't believe how much more room is up there once the shroud comes out.
they are less dangerous. for one, most have plastic blades. won't help much at 1000rpm but harder to cut you than a metal blade. also, most designs have the fans mounted between the radiator and the fan guard so the fans (and your fingers) are generally completely protected.
the only real trade off is you might require switching over to a larger alternator.
another concern that is not as likely is the danger of overheating if you have an electrical problem. unlike mechanical fans that generally do physical damage if something goes horribly wrong, electric fans won't give you any notice if your just putting around town. it would be a good idea to install a warning light or ignition cut-out if the temperature goes too high.
progress marches on. if they sucked, new cars wouldn't have them. as much as i love our c-3s and the era they embody, certain things should should be updated for the benifits they provide.
some may disagree and that's fine, but i like mine and won't go back to a mechanical fan.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:50 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Electric Fans versus Stock Fans (clutchdust)

Well ClutchDust said just about everything there is to say about this subject.

Nice job CD. :thumbs:
Old 09-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Ice_Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electric Fans versus Stock Fans (clutchdust)

That sure covers the topic CD, now since there are so many goods and bads on this one I think I will stay with the factory fan.
Thanx for the history lesson on Fans CD, this one is for the books :) :thumbs:
Old 09-20-2003, 02:25 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree with CD. I went with A Be Cool Direct Fit Aluminium Radiator, Evan's Coolant and dual Spal fans because I was having overheating problems after I dropped in a 502. I went from 210 and overheating in slow trafic to anything I wanted between 165 and up. Major improvement, not to mention a few extra hp. However, why spend the money to fix a problem you don't have? My $0.02 says spend the money on something that you might need or want more. Example: A supercharger or turbocharger that necessitates more cooling capacity and forces you to install electric fans.
Have fun! :steering:
Old 09-20-2003, 06:33 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fans versus Stock Fans (jpatrick636)

One very nice benefit of the electric fans is the removal of that big fan shroud. Now, if I have to pull the radiator, it a 10 minute job, solo. Also really cleans up the engine compartment and I now have great access to the front of the engine.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:42 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hot Rod mag has done a couple of studies that determined that a properly functioning thermoclutch fan uses very little HP.

If you want to try an elect fan, match the CFM to your need and get a controller that matches your water thermostat.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fans versus Stock Fans

Quick Reply: Electric Fans versus Stock Fans