C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas guage stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:28 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas guage stopped working

My fuel guage is telling me readings of way past full, which are not true. So i have been forced into filling up with a jerry can everytime i leave home. Al i did was remove the rubber thing that goes around the gas cap and loosened the bolts for that contraption that goes into the tank, when i was unable to pull it off i tightened the bolts back up and lately the gas gauge hasnt been working.(lately=2 weeks)
Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Gas guage stopped working (battsup)

For the gauge to be reading full you most likely have a wire that shorted to ground someplace. First step is find the pair of wires going to the tank from underneath on the rear of the driver's side. There is a wiring connector there. Disconnect the wires and see if the needle drops to empty. If it does, the problem is either in the tank or in that general area. The tank will need to be dropped if it's there, not that bad of a job. If the needle still shows full the wiring is shorted between the rear of the car and the dash. Try under the sill first (it's the easiest part of the wiring to get to) The wires all route under the driver's side sill.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Default Re: Gas guage stopped working (battsup)

Make sure you the ground wire is connected at the sending unit. Remove the power wire going to the sending unit and ground it. Turn the ignition on and see what the gauge does. If it goes to E, the sending unit is bad. If it stays above full, there could be a break in the wiring going to the gauge, the gauge could be bad, or a printed circuit problem. I just went through this and found the sending unit bad. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:25 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Gas guage stopped working (bertmeister)

I have seen loose connections cause this problem.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Gas guage stopped working (LAvetteman)

ground :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Gas guage stopped working

Quick Reply: Gas guage stopped working