C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:27 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hagerty insurance question

I see many of you are using them. Well my car is 25 years only now and im thinking bout some classic insurance. With a value of 8000 bucks they say it would be 180 bucks for insurance. Is this for real? what is involved in making the swich? for such a low value, do they have to come look at the car? Is that all per year?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
hauk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (QuickVet)

I have my 73 insured with Hagerty,I have $19,000 agreed value,All I had to do was send them an appraisal,and 3 pictures of the car,They have always treated me well with every antique that I insured with them,A phone call to them will get the ball rolling, :cheers:
Old 09-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

QuickVet,

I have my '74 insured at $15,500 and it only took sending them 2-3 pics of the car and them agreeing to the value. Cost last year was $165(total). You will have to provide information that you have another vehicle for main transportation and your vette has to be garaged. Mileage is limited and they are getting very suspect of insuring anything that is *hopped* up. Nice people to deal with although I have never had a claim.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:26 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (bgrice)

I have 10K and pay less than $200 and all I had to do was fill out their online application and send 1 digital shot and a credit card number and I was set.

In a few days, I had the policy mailed to me with my card. Another benefit is the 3 tows allowance where they cover the first $50 of the tow and they will send a flat bed to your location. All you need to do if/when you need a tow is call their 800 number.

It really doesnt get any better than that if you ask me. I also hear their claims follow through is very quick.

Brent....
Old 09-19-2003, 10:35 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (MN-Brent)

Cross shop Hagerty, Grundy and American Collectors Insurance. I use ACI, and they paid off huge when my '59 Triumph TR-3 drowned in Tropical Storm Allison.
http://www.americancollectorsins.com

Old 09-19-2003, 10:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (MN-Brent)

If you get a new policy here is something to check. I just got a new policy and I noticed the limits were 10,000/30,000. I thought that was strange, they left off a ZERO!! My driver policy is 100k/300k and having 10/30 is almost like having no insurance at all. I called them up and had it bumped up to the same as my driver policy...... for an extra $21 premium. Now who wouldn't do that?? :confused: MJ
Old 09-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I believe they are a first rate outfit! I have been negotiating with them, made the "mistake" of telling them the engine was a little modified and they wanted to more then double the rates. When I explained about the 75 I have being the lowest horsepower year ever, and that I still have less horsepower then a comparable 74 model they decided to give me the benefit of the doubt. They are very particular about tickets and driving record for the last 5 years, and will limit the mileage on your car, again it seems like the mileage thing has to be somewhat negotiated. I am looking forward to being insured by them, I just need to take some photos after my car is done sometime this weekend! Finally! :party: :party: :party:
Old 09-19-2003, 11:24 PM
Vette-less Girl
Advanced

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (Big Fish)

sounds great guys. I guess im gonna have to go back to street trim and not mention the engine. Would it be bad to tell them I have a zz4 since the heads are off one it would look just like it.

(sorry im logged in as my fiance')

I dont even use my car now and i pay like 800 a year. I think i put 50 miles on it this year.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:26 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (Big Fish)

Lots of praise for service writing a policy. Anybody made a claim for damage? How did they handle it?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:47 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I see many of you are using them. Well my car is 25 years only now and im thinking bout some classic insurance. With a value of 8000 bucks they say it would be 180 bucks for insurance. Is this for real? what is involved in making the swich? for such a low value, do they have to come look at the car? Is that all per year?
They are for real.. I actually had a claim when my 1980 Duntov was wrecked.. and they handled it very quick and professional.. I don't know if it would have been the same if I would have been fault in the accident...
Old 09-19-2003, 11:56 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (GrandSportC3)

i dont know if my QUICKVET plate would help the cause. i might have to change that first too. :lolg:
Old 09-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (Vette-less Girl)

Vette-less Girl,

Beware of mentioning any huge modifications to your vette as far as horsepower. I made the mistake of contacting Hagerty when I decided to drop the 355CI/427HP engine in the '74 to find out if it would affect my insurance if I went to the drag strip occasionally. They said they would put it in front of a review board and I never heard back from them. When I acquired the '71 I again applied for insurance with Hagerty and they had me flagged. I had to sign a statement that I would not drag race this vette. I'm really not sure what they would have said if I didn't agree, but as of now they have never responded to the application. The funny part is that I never even finished the '74 so I dealt myself my own grave on that one.

If you have less than 400HP I consider that the HP availability for the C-3's and is not fictitious statement. Anything less than 400HP... *Stock*.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

State Farm Collector Car Insurance. Mine's insured for $15k....for $159.60/year. No mileage limits, no garage requirements, no daily driver questions.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-20-2003, 12:38 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

i dont know if my QUICKVET plate would help the cause. i might have to change that first too. :lolg:
They won't ask you what your license plate number says...
Old 09-20-2003, 12:56 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (Brettmc)

State Farm Collector Car Insurance. Mine's insured for $15k....for $159.60/year. No mileage limits, no garage requirements, no daily driver questions.

Brett,

Bring your vette over to Texas and see how far you can fly with State Farm. They not only want out of the state, but they look at you like you are stupid if you want Classic Car Insurance. And that's just how sick this insurance industry is that there is a possibility that Hagerty might not insure my '71 and State Farm wants about $250 to insure it for liability. Whomever made up those rules needs to have his head chopped off. I am single and can only drive (1) vehicle at a time, so why should it matter which car I am in? Am I wrong that I am paying for liability of the driver and not the car? Nothing covers that car, so they are just soaking up funds for no reason at all except for making up things that get people to pay premiums that make absolutely no sense but profits.

No way to go into a weekend thinking about things like this.... I'm steamed just thinking about it. :mad
Old 09-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Brett,

Bring your vette over to Texas and see how far you can fly with State Farm. They not only want out of the state, but they look at you like you are stupid if you want Classic Car Insurance. And that's just how sick this insurance industry is that there is a possibility that Hagerty might not insure my '71 and State Farm wants about $250 to insure it for liability. Whomever made up those rules needs to have his head chopped off. I am single and can only drive (1) vehicle at a time, so why should it matter which car I am in? Am I wrong that I am paying for liability of the driver and not the car? Nothing covers that car, so they are just soaking up funds for no reason at all except for making up things that get people to pay premiums that make absolutely no sense but profits.

No way to go into a weekend thinking about things like this.... I'm steamed just thinking about it. :mad
Whoa!! I feel a little bit better now about living in this backwater state.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:02 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone not told their insurance company about a modded engine and ever had trouble collecting after they found out?

Meaning....

Lets say you just dont tell them anything then you have a wreck. When the adjustor comes out and sees that you have a zz4 or something else in your car would that get you in trouble?

I imagine if they specifically ask about a modded or new engine then you would be violating a contract, and not receive any $$$$$$.

Just curious.

Get notified of new replies

To Hagerty insurance question

Old 09-20-2003, 06:58 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hagerty insurance question (Masterfulks)

I have had the 81' insured with Grundy for years, then last year when I went to insure my wife's 80' I checked with them and they said they don't insure vettes anymore, so I went with Hagerty on that one. I would be interested in seeing if anybody else finds the same thing now.

-Justin
Old 09-20-2003, 08:14 PM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Been with them for 4 years now, no complaints. Never had a claim (yet).... :steering:
Old 09-20-2003, 08:27 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

QuickVet:
I sent them pictures only. They have always treated me fair. I highly recommend them. :auto:

Quick Reply: Hagerty insurance question