C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal - Easy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:23 PM
greenice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal - Easy or not?

My buddy is trying to talk me into removing the engine :rolleyes: and doing some light work to it. The engine needs repainting, clean up the engine comparment and whatever else I can get into (like the water pump and power steering). He has an engine hoist and stand but I would like to know, how hard is it too do and what should I watch out for? If I do it, I would like to also replace the gaskets that are leaking or at least find the leak. Or is this a big PIA for just repaiting the engine....

Old 09-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Engine removal - Easy or not? (greenice)

A small block is not that hard to pull, but I wouldn't do it unless there were major reasons to do it.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:39 PM
hauk
Instructor

I don't think is that hard to do,While you have it out go over everything and replace anything that needs it,Torque all the bolts,check all gaskets,Clean up the engine and the engine bay,This would be a good time to flush the radiator and check the wiring and anything else that is hard to get to when the engine is in the car.I removed and installed a new engine in my 73 in two days,I did this by myself with no help and I am 70 years old and have a heart problem. :cheers:
Old 09-19-2003, 09:20 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Engine removal - Easy or not? (hauk)

Hauk,
You're age is inspirational to me,in that you're still doing what you love to do.
I guess I better start stock piling some V-8's so I'll have the parts to wrench on in 30 years.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:29 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Greenice,
Small block engines aren't difficult to remove.
I faced the same decision you are facing and I pulled the engine with the 4 speed attached all by myself. Installed it the same way, as one unit.
It allowed me to detail the engine bay and clean up some shabby wiring and rewrap the harness so it all looks like factory original.
Also did some suspension work and had radiator checked, I sent out the engine to a machine shop and had it rebuilt but the nicest part was when I went to put it back in all by myself, I just for the heck of it hoisted it over the engine bay to see if the engine hoist was in the right position. One thing led to another and in less than 2 hours I had the engine dropped in, bolted up, transmission bolted to drive shaft and shift levers hooked up.
I am not a mechanic, I'm 56 years old and I had a quintuple heart bypass.
So what I'm telling you is "Go for it" it's worth the effort and will let you do some things to the engine and the engine bay that are harder to do if the engine is installed in the car.
Especially since you have help.
Let us know how you make out and ask questions here if you have them. Most everyone here is very willing to help out.
Kurt Bunting 68 L79
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It isn't difficult, just sort of messy. No matter how careful you are, fluids of some sort are going to come dripping out of the motor as you lift it and move it. So cover your fenders etc.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

greenice....

I didn't notice anyone give any specifics about pulling the engine, so here's some of what you will run into. The hood needs to come off and a safe place to put it. Be sure and check the height clearance of your engine hoist(feet) before you go to dismantling anything. I was able to place my front passenger tire up on 2x8's(2-3 cut short to fit under the tire) to give clearance to slide the hoist underneath. I am assuming you are leaving the tranny in and it is an automatic, so you will need a jack to place under it to support it. Tag every line you disconnect and the corresponding part on the engine that is coming out, so you know where it goes back. Any bolt that comes off should be bagged(& marked) as to where it came off of. Leave the exhaust manifolds on and unbolt from the collector. You will need to be underneath the vette, so be sure you have ample stands to get the car off the ground. And a good possibility that you may not be able to pull it with the fuel pump on.

And odds are you will find all kinds of bushings worn to hell that you never saw before. The *while you are at it* can get costly. If your vette is really nice, then take the time. If it is a daily driver I'd say pass.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:24 PM
greenice
Advanced

Default Re: Engine removal - Easy or not? (bgrice)

It's not an auto but a 4-speed (damn sig thing itsn't working).

This is a semi-daily driver. If no rain, then drive, if rain, drive truck.

We were planning on doing this over 2 weekends, so it would be off the road for 2 weeks. The "while I'm at it" issue has already started. Just trying to figure out what I need to purchase before I undo one bolt. I know all gaskets, didn't think about the engine mounts. What else should I have with me?

Thanks for the help and if I do it, I'll take pictures. :D
Old 09-19-2003, 10:51 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a great idea...
but keep in mind that the "while your at it's" can REALLY escalate with this job!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:07 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

2 weeks for it to be out is pretty optimistic once the "while I'm at it" stuff starts to get ahold of you.

A small block is really pretty easy to remove. Hood off, radiator out, hoses off, a/c compressor removed from the engine (don't disconnect the lines), and other assorted bits that go between the engine and body....let's see...Z bar for the clutch, wiring harness, etc...

Any reason to pull the trans, too? If so, it's the perfect time to pull it. just undo the rear mount and the shifter links and you can take the whole thing out as a unit.

Not having done it before, it'll probably take you 1/2 day to remove it and the same to put it back in. I can get mine out in under an hour if I need to. I haven't needed to in 5 years fortunately!

Get a manual and follow along with the directions. That's the most sure-fire way of doing it.

Once it's out, you might as well start shopping for heads & cam that are suitable for it :D
Old 09-20-2003, 12:02 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend told me the same thing several years ago. I was alittle scared to attempt it but once we got into it, it was pretty easy. Only 13 bolts really hold the motor in.
I would only pull the motor if you are going to rebuild it or replace it.
If you pull it don't forget to clean and paint the engine bay area.
It is all worth it in the end. I'm glad I let my friend talk me into it.
go4it. :thumbs: :seeya
Old 09-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Riley
Instructor

Default Re: Engine removal - Easy or not? (DMONSVETTE)

Well this is my first time pulling a motor but it's a great way to get to see what all needs attention. It took me 6 hours to have the motor and trans ready to pull . The rad mount was rusted, so while i was at it, out it came. tape and mark all vaccum line and electrical and it is a good thing to take pictures of how things go back if it is your first time. This is where a digital camera comes in handing.While i wait to rent a motor lift i stared removing the paint. Boy you can shure get allot off with a razsor blade in one day.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine removal - Easy or not?

Quick Reply: Engine removal - Easy or not?