C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shiny exhaust headers for 1979 L48? where can i find some?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 04:46 PM
heng1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shiny exhaust headers for 1979 L48? where can i find some?

Hi
I just bought a 1979 corvette and I would like to put on some short exhaust headers, preferably without changing all the pipes. Is this possible? where can i find short exhaust headers, (chrome or ceramic coat) for this year and model? any good addresses?
I can only find block huggers, does this need new pipes?
most brands don't seem to have anything that fits on a 1979.
or it just says for SB.
anybody got some installed?
I can use any advise.
it is mainly for looks but some extra Hp would be fine too :) ( how about a cat.?)
Old 09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: shiny exhaust headers for 1979 L48? where can i find some? (heng1)

Unless you go with stock manifolds just about anything you use for headers will require some fabrication. Most of the C3 owners use Dynomax or Hedman headers which are full length headers. Your 79 probably has a catalytic converter, which I'm not familiar with, and will require the two headers to be joined to it. Short headers don't gain you much performance and are typically used due to space limitations rather than horsepower gains. Many early hot rods use shorties because of the small engine compartments. I suggest looking at some of the vendor sites to see what is available or look at Summit or Jegs.

Quick Reply: shiny exhaust headers for 1979 L48? where can i find some?