C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler and oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 04:14 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission cooler and oil questions

1. Can you give me a layout of the lines from the transmission to the cooler to the radiator and back to the transmission? I need specifics as far as the top and bottom hookups on the transmission, the cooler, and the radiator. and...

2. I am putting a new motor in- what kind of oil should I use? Should I start out with standard or synthetic and change somwhere along the line? What weight should I use? Shouldnt I change the oil after the first 500? miles?
Thanks,
Karl
Old 09-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Transmission cooler and oil questions (ill_driver)

I'd use plain old Dyno juce for the break-in...500 or so miles. Then I'd go to syn.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Transmission cooler and oil questions (Stewart's74)

I'd use plain old Dyno juce for the break-in...500 or so miles. Then I'd go to syn.
I've also heard that running dino oil for the first 1500 is recommended. Obviously, it wouldn't hurt... But I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:01 PM
rob75383
Pro

1. Can you give me a layout of the lines from the transmission to the cooler to the radiator and back to the transmission? I need specifics as far as the top and bottom hookups on the transmission, the cooler, and the radiator.
I know that you can tell the flow direction by looking at the fittings coming out of the trans itself. I can't remember if the upper one flows out or in.. :confused: In the case of the radiator, I THINK it doesn't matter which way you flow it throught the radiator, but I'm not sure...

I can tell you that the recommended way to hook one up is to flow it from the tranny, to the radiator, out from the radiator to the cooler, and back to the tranny.
Maybe someone else can give more info as to the flow direction of the trans fittings themselves.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I used regular dyno oil for the first 500 miles and went to full synthetic after that time.
As far as the cooling lines go here's a link to the Flex-a-lite website that has the instructions for their coolers. You'll need the Adobe PDF reader to get to this link. http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/instructions/cooler.pdf
The front or top line is usually routed to the radiator for cooling, the bottom or back line is the return from the radiator cooler. I installed my cooler so that the fluid first goes through the radiator cooler and then through the external cooler. Other people have said that this isn't the right way to do it as it will over cool the tranny fluid, but Flex-a-lite and the other cooler manufacturer's instructions I have seen suggest through the radiator and then through the cooler and back to the tranny.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:20 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Transmission cooler and oil questions ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I can tell you that the recommended way to hook one up is to flow it from the tranny, to the radiator, out from the radiator to the cooler, and back to the tranny.
This is the exact way to get your best cooling and I used the bottom radiator outlet to get this set-up. This lower rad outlet has a 4-5 inch hard line section that then goes to a 4-5 inch rubber hose section which then hooks up to the return hardline to the tranny. This is the optimal spot to hook the cooler up to. I disconnected the original rubber hose and hooked the cooler top line into the radiator outlet and the cooler bottom line to the tranny return hose.

No cutting or flaring of any tubes were required.

Brent....

Old 09-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the oil in the new engine start out with heavy duty straight 30weight for the first 800 miles and keep the rpms limited to 4000. Then switch to fully synthetic Mobil1 10w-30 and let er rip. Thats my recomendation.

on the tranny line plumbing; out of the tranny to the bottom of the rad out the top of the rad thru the cooler back to the tranny. Ide recomend synth tranny fluid as well.

[Modified by Jvette73, 10:08 PM 9/19/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission cooler and oil questions

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler and oil questions