C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh!

o.k. guys and gals. i need your help. do you have an organization up there like our 'chamber of commerce'?
here's the problem. last year i bought a car trailer (from here on referred to as "the white elephant") from a local guy here in nevada. well this guy bought it from a dealer in ontario. but this goofball had two other trailers so instead of registering it, he just swapped tags. so for soemthing like 10 years this trailer never got registered. now i buy it and i ask him, "does it have a clean title?" "yes," he says. he's not lying, the title is clean, it's just never been registered. it was signed off by the seller but to save a few bucks he never got a title from the state of nevada in his name. so now i buy this thing i have my notarized bill of sale, inspection and the title and go to register it but they won't because 10 years have lapsed since it was originally sold. they're saying, "how do we know there's no lien on this trailer?" "how do we know it's a legitamate sale?" blah, blah, blah.
anyway, i do some investigation about the selling company--H&S automobilia out of port colborne, ontario and nothing comes up. i even look up some other trailer dealers in the general area and it seems H&S went out of business a few years back. so now i have to figure out a way to prove to the DMV that there is no lien against this white elephant and it was a legal sale. i did everything right but i now have to deal with the result of my cheap-azzed 'friend' who sold me this thing.
questions are: anybody actually live in or around port colborne? is there some way i can verify this company is out of business? can i find out definitively there is no lien against this trailer?
hey, any information you guys can help me with is GREATLY appreciated. just for general information the name and address of the selling company is/was:
H&S Automobilia
549 Killaly St. E.
Port Colborne, ON L3K2J8
Old 09-19-2003, 04:18 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh! (clutchdust)

punch that area code into the member locator...you should be able to find someone close to there.....
Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh! (clutchdust)

A quick Google search yielded this web address for the Port Colborne Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.niagara.com/pcwchamb/

They might be able to help you out with info about when the company went out of business.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:32 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Can't you just waltz into your local DMV, claim "home built" and get it registered? It's done up here often enough.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:25 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh! (75Rag)

Can't you just waltz into your local DMV, claim "home built" and get it registered? It's done up here often enough.
:withstupid:
That's what I was gonna suggest...
Old 09-19-2003, 10:29 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

:iagree:

Steve :steering:
Old 09-20-2003, 02:17 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

that is my last resort. it would have already been done except there are serial numbers stamped into the tongue. DMV always inspects anything new being registered so before i go that route, i'll have to fill the existing numbers in. that's probably going to happen, i've been wanting to paint it anyway. right now, it looks gay.
thanks for the help. i'll check that link posted above.
:cheers:
Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Ice_Fire
Intermediate

Default Re: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh! (stpman)

:iagree: Just claim it as a homebuilt trailer and vawala, you will be issued a new serial # and plate. :)
Old 09-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Tired74
Instructor

I had a similar problem where I purchased a trailer from a guy who only had one license plate but many trailers and he just swapped them around. I was able to go to my local justice of the peace and swear an affidavit that I was the legal owner and that I bought it from so and so etc. That was it now it is registered.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:27 PM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh! (Tired74)

I check my local phone book and yes they are listed an the number is 905-834-0610 H&S AUTOMOBILIA, good luck. Dave :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh!

Quick Reply: CANADIANS, need help from some of our ontario members, eh!