C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can oil leak from the fuel pump area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Can oil leak from the fuel pump area?

While under the car, I noticed engine oil on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly, the block around the fuel pump attachment, and it's blowing back onto the rest of the block and starter. I wiped it down good and took a short drive then rechecked it. IT IS NOT coming from the front seal (replaced in April) but looks as if it is leaking from around the fuel pump attachment area. Can oil leak here and has anybody else had this problem? How difficult is it getting to the fuel pump and removing it?

[Modified by Rick Church, 8:33 PM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can oil leak from the fuel pump area? (Rick Church)

Yes it can, oil flows down the pump rod and then pools in the pump area and then drains into the block/pan. Another thing to look at is they a bolt in the tapped hole on the front of the block directly in line with the pump rod, it is tapped straight through to the pump area inside the block.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely. Also there are two gaskets in that location for small blocks. There is a gasket for the pump, and a gasket for the mounting plate behind it. Always replace both when removing the pump and avoid the hassle.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:34 PM

How difficult is it getting the fuel pump off and out of the car?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Fevre
Race Director

PITA IMHO. If you do take it out here are a couple tips for reinstall:

1. Make sure the fuel pump lobe is NOT pushing the rod out, might have to bump the eng over a little to get it to rotate out of the way.

2. Use a bolt in the the upper of the 2 holes in front of the block right near the pump, the upper one is tapped all the way through into the pump area. The bolt has to be long enough to hit the rod, use this to keep the rod up riding on the cam so it won't drop down in the way of the fuel pump arm. If you have no bolt there now, use a short bolt that won't interfere with rod and use rtv sealant or thread tape on it so it won't leak oil.

Good luck!

[Modified by Fevre, 3:49 PM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 07:12 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you go removing your fuel pump, check to see that you are not leaking oil from the front seal. I always had oil on the bottom of the fuel pump and in that general vicinity. Oil from the front seal is thrown in that direction. I changed the front oil seal, and voila, no more oil under the fuel pump.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Rick actually it isn't that hard if you pull the right front tire and go in over the A-arm. There is a clear shot directly to the bolts a socket and an extension and your home free. I learned this the hard way, after spending 45 minutes getting one bolt out from the bottom. I got out from under the car and just happened to look over the front rotor (I already had the wheels off.) and saw the opening. 10 minutes later the new pump was on.
The engine was cold so I used a big glob of grease to hold the pump rod in place. Ditto on replacing both gaskets!
Also a set of tubing wrenches really help when disconnecting the fuel lines from the pump.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:09 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While under the car, I noticed engine oil on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly, the block around the fuel pump attachment, and it's blowing back onto the rest of the block and starter. I wiped it down good and took a short drive then rechecked it. IT IS NOT coming from the front seal (replaced in April) but looks as if it is leaking from around the fuel pump attachment area. Can oil leak here and has anybody else had this problem? How difficult is it getting to the fuel pump and removing it?
Same thing happened to my fuel pump before I changed it.
And yes take off the front tire to get a straight shot at the bolts.
Hardest part is keeping the rod up into the block while replacing the fuel
pump. Keep at it and you'll get it in. Check it good for leaks after. Goodluck.
:thumbs: :seeya
Old 09-20-2003, 08:53 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

Default Re: Can oil leak from the fuel pump area? (DMONSVETTE)

Hardest part is keeping the rod up into the block while replacing the fuel
pump.
First you need to remove the push rod to inspect the end that contacts the cam. Make sure it is in good condition. Mine had two small hairline cracks on the surface so I replaced it. To keep the rod in the engine while putting on the pump, put the rod in the freezer for 24 hours (or better yet use dry ice so it will stay cold longer) then use a little heavy grease like wheel bearing grease and coat the rod right before installing it in the block (we all know what happens when you put your tongue on a cold pipe in the winter :eek: ). The combination of the grease and cold will keep the rod from sliding out but you have to work quick but this method works good :thumbs:
Old 09-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Rick,
definitely check the bolt hole in front of the fuel pump on the block like Fevre said. You may need to put a (very short) bolt in it.
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Can oil leak from the fuel pump area?

Quick Reply: Can oil leak from the fuel pump area?