C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some info about 454 engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Default Looking for some info about 454 engines

I'm looking to buy a 454 engine for my next vette project. I have two to pick from:

454 complete, needs rebuilt, $450

454, new generation, 4 bolt main, long block. $300

I'm calling on both engines tomorrow and am leaning towards the 454 4 bolt main engine. What is the differance between the two? old Gen vs New gen.

Which one would you go with? Both are priced right.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:24 AM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for some info about 454 engines (Mr D.)

Both seem dirt cheap to me, you'll most likely have to rebuild them both.....what is meant by complete????? Does it include the water pump, fuel pump, starter, ignition, carb, exhaust, intake, flywheel etc....

...to transplant a big block into a Vette you'll need a new pulley set up, radiator, half shafts, flywheel, etc.....

I'm not savy to the term new generation.....your best bet is to inspect both engines and write down and decode their block casting number, casting date number (located at the rear of the block on driver or passenger side) and the engine suffix code and partial VIN (located below the heads on the front passenger side--note that this number may not be there if the block has been milled or rebuilt).........this will help identify what car or truck the motor was originally assembled for and the base HP and torque--not all big blocks are HOT.........

Do the same with intake and heads......post the numbers here if you need help decoding......

Old 09-19-2003, 03:09 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Looking for some info about 454 engines (standup)

I'm not savy to the term new generation.....
Gen VI, one piece rear main seal, one piece oil pan gasket
Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I think the Gen V's may not have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump. Better check that if that matters to you. Meaning you'd need to use an electric fuel pump. Mine is an '87 and classed as a Mark IV (which ran from '65-'89) and I'm able to use a Fel-pro one piece oil pan gasket.

As said earlier, get the serial numbers and go to: http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm that will narrow down the description somewhat. You should be safe with either since no 454's are listed as having a "tall" deck. I extracted my 454 from an '87 Suburban and it turned out to be a 4-bolt. :hurray:

I'd get the 4-bolt and go with an electric FP if needed. IMO 4 is better than two and you'll save yourself some work not having to dissassemble the other block. Mine was complete also and was a chore to take apart....although I learned alot along the way. :chevy

Good luck & keep us posted.....we love pics too! :D

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 4:52 AM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Default Re: Looking for some info about 454 engines (1970 Stingray)

Thanks everyone. I just called on the complete engine and it was sold. The other I'm looking at tonight. It is a one piece rear seal, (would this be a Gen VI) out of a boat, never been apart. While I'm fine with this setup my concern is: Can I use this model in a C-3 4-sp car? oil pan, clutch hook up, ect ect. I will do a complete rebuild on this engine so the cam, pistions ect I don't care about. It does have the small (smallet than oval) port heads which I won't be able to use (or so I'm told).

I guess I'm looking at 4-bolt main block, crank, rods, maybe some head hardware for $300 (I think he will take $250) Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:02 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a one piece rear seal, (would this be a Gen VI) out of a boat, never been apart. While I'm fine with this setup my concern is: Can I use this model in a C-3 4-sp car?
Of Course you can

It does have the small (smallet than oval) port heads which I won't be able to use (or so I'm told).
Be careful, Gen V and Gen VI blocks are different. Have to use Gen V heads on a Gen V block, else you will have a massive water leak. I don't believe that the 454 was ever made into a Gen V block, only the 502, so you are safe. I would get the casting number and check any of the big hi-po chevy dealers like http://www.paceparts.com or http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com they have casting numbers on their sites. You can also call, 800 number and ask, they are very helpful.

I guess I'm looking at 4-bolt main block, crank, rods, maybe some head hardware for $300 (I think he will take $250) Sounds like a deal to me.
It is a deal
Old 09-20-2003, 01:13 AM
J. Swisher
Advanced

Default Re: Looking for some info about 454 engines (GDaina)

might want to be careful on a boat engine, because if the motor ran an open cooling system (salt water in salt water out) there is a chance that rust in the cooling passages could be rusting the block away from the inside out.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:00 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Looking for some info about 454 engines (J. Swisher)

might want to be careful on a boat engine, because if the motor ran an open cooling system (salt water in salt water out) there is a chance that rust in the cooling passages could be rusting the block away from the inside out.
:iagree:

I rebuilt a number of 454's out of shrimp boats on the side while I was in New Orleans and I quit messing with them after the last engine that came in that kept stripping out head bolts. Even heli-coils were useless. And it was useless to bake out a block and expect that you could get the cake-up inside gone. Hit the block with a brass hammer and you could hear the crumbling inside. NO ONE wants a block exposed to salt water..... PERIOD!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some info about 454 engines

Quick Reply: Looking for some info about 454 engines