C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need `68 detail info

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need `68 detail info

I am building a replica of a `68 L-88 Corvette convertible, and honestly I don`t know too much about this year. Did I pick a good subject? I posted a thread on a `67 I built here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=653706
Anyway, I was watching a show on the speed channel and they were restoring one of these cars that was a dark maroon color with light tan interior. Can anyone tell me what the names of these colors might be? I would like to build this thing to be close to exact. Are there any sites that have alot of pictures of these `vettes? Also, were the bottoms of these cars the same color as the body, or were they painted black? Any links to any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

:nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity

:party: :party: :cheers: :cheers: :hurray:
Old 09-19-2003, 11:46 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Need `68 detail info (Hawk312)

That model is incredible! It almost looks too real. I would like to see it next to something so I could tell how big it is.... I am not sure what 1/12 really looks like.

If the L88 you saw was the Dream Car Garage vette, I think it is a 69 not a 68. The 69 color was simply called "Burgundy". That car also has some subtle non-original features, specifically aftermarket oversized rims and tires. (I think it has 17" rims instead of the stock 15") .

The bottom of these cars was definitely NOT body color. There are a lot of "natural" finish, unpainted stuff under there, like the fiberglass spare tire carrier, and maybe some flat black. I am not exactly sure.

For model building purposes, the difference between a 68 and a 69 would be the 68 does not have the Stingray script over the gills, and the 68 door handle has a visible push button while the 69 only has a keyhole at that spot. Of course, some of the colors are noticeable as only one year or the other, for example International Blue is a distinctive dark blue which was 68 only, and Riverside Gold was 69 but not 68.

My suggestion would be this: There are a couple of L88 owners on this forum. Solicit detailed info from one of them. He will be flattered by your interest and more than willing to provide you with details and pics. Build an exact scale model of his car, since this is what you want to do anyway. When your model is complete, the owner of the original car will be absolutely nuts for the model and will really want it!!! :lol: After all, if you have a car worth over $100k what would you pay for a perfect scale model? :) MJ
Old 09-19-2003, 12:36 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

1968 colors- Tuxedo Black, Polar White, Rally Red, LeMans Blue, International Blue, British Green, Safari Yellow, Silverstone Silver, Cordovan Maroon, and Corvette Bronze.

1969 colors- Tuxedo Black, Can-Am White, Monza Red, LeMans Blue, Riverside Gold, Fathom Green, Daytona Yellow, Cortez Silver, Burgundy, and Monaco Orange.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The underside of the car was left unpainted so the fiberglass portions are the dark semi-gloss gray of the unpainted fiberglass. The frame and crossmembers were a satin or semi-flat black. If you really want to find out the details of how every piece of the car was painted and what colors were used, check the NCRS website at http://www.ncrs.org you can purchase a NCRS judging guide for the 1968-1969 model years.
Another good place is to look at pictures of cars that are NCRS Top Flight certified. There is currently a NCRS top flight L88 C-2 couple on EBAY, with a ton of pictures of just about every part of the car. The detail colors under the car and suspension will be very,very close to the same on the C-2 and C-3.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:47 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a thread on this forum "The real deal L88" which will give you a link to an Ebay auction of a 1969 L88 coupe. I know its not quite what you are looking for, but there are a lot of pictures from many angles in there.

As was noted, the visable differences between a 68 and a 69 are the Stingray script on the fender of a 69 and the door lock button on the 68. Also on a 68 all four rear lights were all red, with the back up lights under the bumpers.

Good luck. The 67 looks terrific!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Need `68 detail info (MNJack)

That model is incredible! It almost looks too real. I would like to see it next to something so I could tell how big it is.... I am not sure what 1/12 really looks like.
Thanks alot! I`ll see if I have any pics of a 1/12 scale car next to a 1/24 scale car. I am thinking it is about foot and a half long.

If the L88 you saw was the Dream Car Garage vette, I think it is a 69 not a 68. The 69 color was simply called "Burgundy".
That was it! They were restoring that car, and I thought it looked pretty good to begin with. I thought the burgundy with tan looked sooooooooooo sharp! I guess I have to decide if I am going to keep it a 68, or make a correct 69.

When your model is complete, the owner of the original car will be absolutely nuts for the model and will really want it!!! After all, if you have a car worth over $100k what would you pay for a perfect scale model?
Actually, that is sort of my intention. I am planning on auctioning this once done, along with another `67 and a GTX I am building. I am planning to get $150 - $200 for the 1/24 scale versions to start off. That doesn`t seem to unreasonable I think. Anyway, maybe I will start checking the sigs, and plan accordingly. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need `68 detail info

Quick Reply: Need `68 detail info