C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump???

Old 09-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump???

This should be so easy...but its not. In fact, I feel kind of stupid even asking for help on this. I have the replacement mechanical fuel pump installed and was installing the rubber hoses from the pump to the fuel lines. The smaller diameter hose installed with no problem, however, the larger hose is more difficult. When I connect both ends of the larger hose...the fuel inlet hose... the hose kinks at the connection to the pump. It looks like the angle coming off the pump connection and rising up to the metal fuel line is tight which is causing the kink. I tried different lengths and twisting the hose in different directions to no avail. I did not pay to much attention to this connection when I uninstalled the pump because I thought this was so easy. Such a simple little thing yet so much aggrevation. I want my car running this weekend while the weather is good. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default Re: help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump??? (Frankenvette)

This is the main reason that so many vendors carry these lines in their catalogs. It is a preformed hose that is pre-bent in the right places to avoid kinking. I have used a piece of regular rubber gas line in the past, but you have to use a longer piece than original to allow the hose to make the bends without kinking. I haven't done it in a while, I keep a couple of replacements on hand, but if you use a good quality piece of multi-ply hose it should work.

Good luck and if all else fails; you can probably obtain one from a local Chevrolet dealer quickly.

GUSTO
Old 09-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump??? (GUSTO14)

I did not know this was available preformed. Maybe that is why I'm getting the kink. I did upgrade to a stronger hose and still it kinked. I'll call the local chevy dealer and see if they have one available. Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:01 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump??? (Frankenvette)

I have used a piece of regular rubber gas line in the past, but you have to use a longer piece than original to allow the hose to make the bends without kinking.
:iagree:
I replaced mine on an 81 two weeks ago. Got the hose from Napa. Had to make the hose about six inches longer than the original so it wouldn't kink. Corvette Central sells the preformed for about 12 bucks.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

When I replaced my fuel pump, I still had the full metal line from the pump to the carb. The nuts were rusted and they twisted the line. I went to autozone and bought a new 30" metal line and borrowed their bender. It took some time and trial and error, but I was able to bend the line without any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help installing fuel line hoses to mechanical fuel pump???