C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Spring Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Simul8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Tricks

I,m tring to install new coil springs on a bare frame. Any tricks on how to compress the spring enough to install spindle assy with no weight on the frame? I'm using a 4 hook internal spring compressor, but still unable to compress the spring enough to install.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Coil Spring Tricks (Simul8)

I did it with a floor jack and a 4x4 going from the frame to the center beam of the garage (to hold the frame down).
Old 09-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Simul8
Instructor

Default Re: Coil Spring Tricks (Scooter70)

That's exactly what I'm setting up now. Wish me luck, and hope I keep all my teeth. :rofl:
Old 09-18-2003, 12:40 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Get yourself a chain to attach to the front of your jack, wrap the chain around your Corvette's frame and atach the other end of the chain to your jack. Now you can jack up the lower a-arm to compress the spring enough to attach the ball joints. The chain will prevent the frame from lifting while compressing the spring ;) .

[Modified by SmokedTires, 12:42 PM 9/18/2003]
Old 09-18-2003, 03:18 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Corvette springs (originals) are soooo long!. I used a spring compressor that had a long bolt. Feed the bolt through TOP of the frame down into the spring ie where top of shock absorber ends up. Use a couple of washers on the bolt so you do not damage your new paint job.

Compress spring slightly with floor jack ie not enought to lift frame but enough to get an extra turn on spring compressor.

Connect the bolt to the compressor bar, hook or whatever connects to the spring. This will pull the spring up. I used a rattle gun to turn the bolt (slowly) and tighten the spring. Once tight enough you can put your spindle and a_arms on then loosen the bolt.

PS Be sure to check the final position of the coils on the spring. Apparently it is important. It is in the CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL. From memory you need the end facing the inside. This allows for one of the drainage holes in the a-arm to be uncovered and lets the coil sit in the a-arm properly.

BE SAFE!
Pete

[Modified by stingry, 8:18 PM 9/18/2003]
Old 09-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Simul8
Instructor

They're in :hurray: Used the house hold down the frame. I put a 4x4 across the front horns and used a T-Bar that I used to haul a canoe againts the garage door header. Then it only took 5min to get them in. Wasted all day on this. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your response.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:45 PM
keith72
Instructor

Rick,
Just answered your e-mail with almost the exact same suggestion on the 4x4 as a brace. Oh, the Bubba mind at work.... :smash:
Old 09-18-2003, 10:13 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Coil Spring Tricks (keith72)

Rick,
Just answered your e-mail with almost the exact same suggestion on the 4x4 as a brace. Oh, the Bubba mind at work.... :smash:
That's not Bubba - that's gettin' it done.
I did the same thing in my garage when taking them out of the frame - 2x4 to the joist overhead.

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Coil Spring Tricks

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Tricks